1. Robben
    June 4, 2020 @ 12:31 pm

Hi Suzy and Natalie,
    Thank you for such a great post with rich information! I appreciate hearing the perspectives of the 20 somethings. I will be passing this on to my friends with 20 something children. I will also be checking out the books.
    Thanks again for your time and thoughtfulness,
    Robben

June 4, 2020 @ 1:40 pm

Robben,
      Your precious comment means the world! I am so glad you felt it was helpful! I will forever be indebted to Natalie’s friends and my kids’ friends to sharing with me so candidly. (I didn’t dare put my own kids in the situation of having to answer these questions, so I didn’t even ask them – but I asked a bunch of their friends!)
      Hugs to you,

2. Amy Scott
    June 4, 2020 @ 12:41 pm

This is so great and much of it rings true for my teens, too. I am also still struggling with this as a 48 year old from my own mother and it makes our relationship difficult. Everyone should read this!

June 4, 2020 @ 1:43 pm

Amy,
      Wow! Thank you for sharing that. I am so glad you found it helpful. I’m forever grateful to my incredible assistant Natalie, for her honesty and for recruiting so many of her friends who agreed to share their feelings so honestly! She is such a treasure!
      I’m so, so glad you found it helpful!

3. nylse
    June 4, 2020 @ 5:13 pm

Where do I begin? I know I have a better relationship with my adult children than my parents ever had with me at that age. I’ve learned to listen without offering advice unless it’s asked. But each child is different. Today, for example, my 3rd child is struggling with her career; though she’s smart and capable, corporate shenanigans are weighing her down all combined with COVID-19 and racism. Sometimes it’s hard for her to figure out why certain things aren’t going her way. Today she called me with tears in her eyes. I listened, I encouraged her to use wisdom as she speaks and then I got off the phone and I prayed.
    But I’m so glad we have this relationship where she can share with me; where she knows that she will be supported.

As parents, I think we should always be willing to learn, to adjust. And I like that advice which I’ll start sharing with mine – “you’re right where you’re supposed to be.”

Great post that applies for the adult years not just the 20s.

4. Barbara
    June 4, 2020 @ 5:39 pm

Thanks for this wonderful article! It’s full of so many practical ways we can show our kids respect and admiration and love. And who doesn’t want to feel admired?! I’m happy I read this, and I am definitely going to share it. Thanks again!

5. Carolyn
    June 8, 2020 @ 7:40 am

I so much appreciate this article. Some of the things mentioned I have learned through trial and error AND through doing it wrong with one child and correcting it with another. THanks, Suzie

6. Janet
    June 15, 2020 @ 9:53 pm

I was looking thru your post for something to read… and stopped at this one! It’s perfect and I needed this, as I have 21 & 24 year old. Thank you!! 😊