1. Cathy Lawdanski
    August 17, 2018 @ 4:59 am

I have 2 daughters – a little older than yours and both have kids. I told one of mine “you are sure doing a good job with him (my grandson) and it meant so much to her that she teared up. Compliment them on their parenting and affirm them as mothers. By the same token, never utter a word of criticism or anything that they could take that way about their parenting. Nothing undermines a young mom’s confidence more than thinking her mother doesn’t approve of something she does as a mom. I had a wonderful mom who only made one negative comment, very minor, very unintentional but I still remember it to this day! Glad you had that time to make memories! I followed you on Instastories – so fun!

August 17, 2018 @ 2:01 pm

Ohhhh, Cathy, that is such good advice! You are so right! That is such good wisdom. Thank you so much for sharing – your advice rings truer the older they get, and especially with regards to their parenting, I’m sure. The most valuable advice in the world has been the advice I’ve gotten from moms just a step beyond where I am, so thank you so very much!
      I’m glad you followed my Instastories! It’s fun for me to share my daily life and adventures with you!!! Thanks again for your great comment and for taking the time to share it! xoxo Suzy

2. Carole Pope
    August 17, 2018 @ 7:46 am

Hi Suzy, What a special time it looks like you both had. Our daughter is coming to join my husband and I for a few days during our holiday. She is a bit older than Becca as you know and sparks can fly with the two of us these days! (Always did but then she was a child so I had the upper hand) Now she is a woman it has been tough but vital that I find new ground with her so we can move forward with a new adult relationship. Your comments and advice are always appreciated! xx

August 17, 2018 @ 2:05 pm

Carole,
      It is so challenging to make the transition from raising our daughters to befriending them (in a unique “friendship” that only a mother/daughter share). The “rules” are unclear! Thank you for your honesty in sharing your struggles with your own daughter. I love it that your heart’s desire is to work on it! I hope it goes well when she joins you on “holiday.” (I just love your British terms! Please never stop commenting here and on Instagram!!!) Thanks for your kind words and for leaving a comment. xoxo Suzy

3. Wendy howard
    August 17, 2018 @ 8:12 am

I have four grown daughters and am still not the expert! This post was perfect timing as right now I’m in the car with daughter number 4 taking her back to Samford in Birmingham for her junior year. I plan to ask her those great questions!!! Thanks Suzy!

August 17, 2018 @ 2:06 pm

Wendy,
      It means the world to me that you liked this post because I think you are such a great mom to your four daughters! They are all so lovely! I’m so happy that I provided some good questions to ask as you head back. I hope it launches some wonderful discussions! xoxo Suzy

4. nylse
    August 17, 2018 @ 12:36 pm

I so appreciate this post – you articulate what I try to do with my adult children but my family never did this for me and doesn’t do this well. So I sometimes feel odd but I know this makes sense for us so I will keep doing it. My family says they are supportive but it looks and feels different. There are no arguments here about the support you show your daughter and what she receives. She knows she can count on you. Thank you so much.

August 17, 2018 @ 2:08 pm

Nylse,
      I always love it when you leave me a comment because you are always so thoughtful in what you say, Nylse! I am so glad you are doing these things for your adult kids, even though it wasn’t done for you. I guarantee they are so glad and that they feel your love! Hugs to you! xoxo Suzy

5. Missy
    August 17, 2018 @ 3:20 pm

This is perfect timing for me. My daughter is also 21 and entering her senior year in college. I always worry if I have done everything “correctly” in raising her to be a strong independent woman (but still needs her mama, occasionally!!). When she will calls for advice, I always try and ask open ended questions. I believe it allows her to have the confidence that she IS making the right decisions or the right choices and that we will always be there for her.

August 17, 2018 @ 5:37 pm

Missy, that is EXACTLY what I try to do with my daughter! I am so glad you liked this post. How great that our daughters are the same age! Hang in there, sweet Mama! Thanks for taking the time to leave such an encouraging comment! xoxo Suzy

August 19, 2018 @ 10:31 am

Missy, that is EXACTLY what I try to do with my daughter! I am so glad you liked this post and I so appreciate your comment! Thanks for reading and taking the time to leave such an honest comment! xoxo Suzy

6. Anjlia
    August 8, 2019 @ 12:44 am

Amazing Information mam. After reading Your blog helps to create better understanding between daughter or mother. Thanks

August 8, 2019 @ 6:14 am

Anjali’s,
      You are so welcome! I’m glad it was helpful!

7. ahaan
    August 18, 2019 @ 6:33 am

it is a great blog thanks for sharing its is very helpful for future mother thanks …

August 18, 2019 @ 6:44 am

Ayana,
      So glad you found it helpful! Thanks for your kind comment!