Aside from the weather, the month of February is one of my favorites! How great is it to have an entire month where we focus on love? And the month’s signature colors are red and pink! Count me in, for sure! I’ve learned a lot this month and discovered some cool new things that I can’t wait to share with you. You’re gonna be SO in the KNOW!
What I’m Learning
The”Three Bite Rule?” – Multiple studies have shown that portion control is key when it comes to losing and maintaining weight. One of my friends told me she’s practicing the “Three Bite Rule” when it comes to foods that are particularly tempting. She takes one bite to say “hello,” one to remember, and one to say “good-bye.” #brilliant
Book That Will Make You Blush – My friend gave me this book by Kevin Moore. It’s a compelling read about God’s design for sex and intimacy in marriage. It might make you blush a little, but it’s excellent. (Also, your husband may be, ahem, intrigued, to see it sitting on your bedside table, just sayin’.) 🙂
Precious Non-Profit – I recently came across Advance Camp Texas, a non-profit dedicated to helping fatherless young men ages 12-18 learn practical skills that their dads could, would, and should have taught them. Once a month, dedicated mentors teach campers skills like woodworking, auto care, lawn care, and more, as well as sharing faith lessons. #lovethis
Emojis Decoded! – Ever wonder what certain emojis mean? I have! Check out Emojipedia! (How can I have just found out about this site?)
What I’m Loving
Click on any of the items in the collage above or the images below for more information.
1. Baublebar Dupe Earrings for Under $10 – For some reason, I’ve been all about the fashion on Amazon lately! It’s a treasure trove of great styles—usually at unbelievable prices! Check out this cute and easy-to-wear t-shirt dress for just $18, and this comfy-looking tunic for $20! Those are awesome, but I’m all over these Baublebar look-alike earrings available in a variety of color combos. Most of them are under $10!
2. The Fanny Pack is Back (In a BIG Way) – I’m not proud of it, but when I heard the fanny pack was back, the first thing I did was roll my eyes. The fashion gurus have proclaimed it “back” for the past two or three years, and I’ve just ignored it, hoping that it would go away. No such luck! In fact, a search for “fanny pack” on Nordstrom’s website yielded four pages of results, with prices ranging from $2365 to $14.98! I am not even kidding you. What’s worse? They’ve renamed the fanny pack a “belt bag” and made it all hipster and stuff. Also, (and I am so sorry to have to tell you this), in addition to the traditional but oh-so-unflattering ’round the waist way to wear the fanny pack, there’s now a new way to wear the fanny pack: across your chest. (See below.) While you won’t find me sporting the belt bag trend anytime soon, I’ve linked to a really pretty one for you daring fashionistas who are ready to take the plunge. (And, um, if you have fanny packs in your closet from the 80s when we all sported this trend the first time ’round, you might need to read my recent post on Downsizing & Decluttering! Just sayin’.) 🙂
3. Monogrammed Cosmetic Case – I think a personalized gift is the absolute best kind of gift to give! Why? It tells the recipient that you thought ahead and made an extra effort on their behalf. This cosmetic case is expandable, made of sturdy and easy-to-clean polyester, and it looks like a Lilly Pulitzer dupe (for a lot less!).
4. Almond Shower Oil – I didn’t know about this hydrating shower oil when I wrote my Winter Skin Rescue post, but I love this product so much that I’ve gone back to that post and updated it to include it. My friend, Susan, gave this to me, and I’m obsessed! If you have very dry skin, you need this shower oil formulated especially for dry skin! When it comes in contact with water, it transforms into a gentle cleansing lotion that leaves your skin hydrated and smelling delish. If nothing else has worked for your extremely dry skin, give this a try.
5. Eyeliner Brush – Did you read my wrap-up post on the Makeup-Over-Fifty Class I recently hosted in Dallas? In it, I told you all of the tips, tricks, and product recommendations that my makeup artist shared that night as she taught the class. One of the things she suggests is that women over fifty use an eyeliner pencil at the base of their upper lashes to make them look fuller. She recommends a pencil (instead of a liquid liner or pen) for a softer look. The problem I always have is that I make a mess when I try to smudge the pencil! Do you have that problem too? This brush is designed for this exact purpose and features a tapered shape that lets you blend flawlessly. #problemsolved
6. City Lips “Sun Diego” Plumping Gloss – Did you read my recent Tips for Aging Lips post? In it, we tackled issues that plague midlife women’s lips—like dryness, lines, and thinning. I told you about the lip products I’ve been using lately and how they’ve helped me with all of those things! (More info here.) My new favorite color in the line is called “Sun Diego.” It’s a warm-toned pink gloss with a slight golden sheen. It’s beautiful! I wore it at the Makeup-Over-Fifty Class and got so many compliments! My complexion has warm undertones, but if you have cool undertones, check out the shade called “Los Angelips.” (Also, if you’re not sure if your complexion has warm or cool undertones, I told you how to figure it out in this post.)
8. Hilarious Guest Towel – I have this guest towel, and people always remark on it when they emerge from the guest bathroom! It says, “Wash your hands and say your prayers because Jesus and germs are everywhere.” Hahahaha! I found mine on Amazon, but there are several different styles on this Etsy page.
9. Hard Head Hair Spray – My makeup artist, Bebe, introduced me to this hairspray! It’s not for the faint of heart, y’all! This stuff dries instantly, and it’s relentless. This is not that everyday “gentle” hairspray that leaves your hair touchable. (For that, I recommend this one.) The last time Bebe was doing my makeup, I kept messing with an area of my hair that had fallen flat. She grabbed this spray, sprayed it at the root in that one area, and boom! Instant strong lift and hold. If you’re headed to a humid area and you want to keep your hair from frizzing, this hair spray is worth a try.
10. Cashmere Striped Tee – Stripes are trending in a big way right now, and I just bought this darling striped tee! I think it’s the perfect top for this time of year. It’s cashmere, so it will keep you warm, but it’s fitted enough to layer under blazers or cardis. It fits TTS, will go with everything in your closet, and it’s on sale this weekend! This photo doesn’t do it justice! Click here to see a better pic. #yay
Happy Weekend! Do you have big weekend plans? We do! We got new paint and carpet in our master bedroom this week, so we’re going to spend some time putting things back together on Saturday. Our daughter is coming into town for an audition, so we’ll love on her some too! On Sunday (drumroll, please!), we’re helping our son and daughter-in-law move into their first house! We’re so honored and excited to help them at this special time! #prayfornobackinjuries 🙂
Coming up next week on Empty Nest Blessed, I’m going to tell you how I made my very own pair of Tory Burch earrings! I’m also talking about how you can stay well while everyone else is getting sick, and I’m giving you all the details on how I score designer bags, belts, and accessories for less. I can’t wait to share it all with you!
Shop the Post
P.S. Don’t forget to Pin this image for future reference, and be sure to follow Empty Nest Blessed on Pinterest!