The first day of spring is March 20, and I, for one, cannot wait! I’m such a warm-weather girl! I love the old proverb, “March comes in like a lion, but goes out like a lamb.” When March starts, it’s still winter, and by the end of the month, spring has begun. Awesome!
Every month I let you in on what I’m learning and loving in my empty nest, and this month (like every month 😂), I’ve got a lot to share. As an empty nester, I’ve found that I’m more and more curious about things. Do you find that too? I love to be SO in the KNOW, and I love to fill you in on all the cool things I’ve discovered!
What I’m Learning
From ways to use your dishwasher you probably didn’t know to ways to prevent porch pirate package theft and more. Read on, ’cause I’m spilling the tea!
Decidedly Different Uses for Your Dishwasher
You can safely use your dishwasher for more than you probably imagined, and it’s safe to use your everyday dishwasher detergent too! Most items should go on the top rack, although it’s probably safe to use the lower rack for larger items. Also, it probably goes without saying, I wouldn’t run these items along with the dishes and cutlery you use for eating. 😬 Here are a few things you can put in the dishwasher:
- Vacuum Cleaner Attachments
- Gardening Tools – Rinse the mud off outside first and make sure they’re not aluminum so they don’t discolor.
- Plastic hairbrushes and combs – Don’t tell Bob, but I wash his whenever he goes out of town! 🤫
- Baseball caps – These are top rack safe as long as the brim isn’t made from cardboard. (Most aren’t now, but if they’re from back in your college days, check first.)
- Bathroom Accessories – Think toothbrush holders, soap dishes, shower caddies, etc.
- Plastic Flip Flops – Put these on the top rack and loop the straps over a tine so they don’t become dislodged.
- Coffee Maker Components – Think about dishwasher-washing the plastic water reservoir and the overflow catcher on a Keurig or the filter holder on a multiple cup coffee pot machine.
- Refrigerator Components – Things like crisper drawers, butter trays, or even shelves can safely go in the dishwasher.
Prevent Package Pilfering
According to a recent survey, 11% of Americans have been victims of package theft. Has it happened to you? We haven’t been victimized (yet), but the idea of a package being stolen right off the front porch is scary. Here’s what you can do to prevent it:
- UPS – Sign up for UPS’s My Choice tool to specify an inconspicuous delivery spot at your home, like a back door. You can also opt to ship to a local UPS store.
- FEDEX – Sign up for FedEx’s Delivery Manager – You can place a delivery hold if you’re out of town or reschedule a delivery for another day. You can also opt to ship to a local FedEx store.
- USPS – Sign up for USPS’ Delivery Instructions to specify an inconspicuous delivery spot at your home, like a back door.
- Amazon – You can ship your packages to a nearby self-serve Amazon Hub Locker or a Counter pickup location staffed by Amazon Associates. (Click HERE to find locations near you.)
- Amazon Prime Member Options – In addition to the above pick up options, if you’re an Amazon Prime Member in select areas, you can also sign up for a free service called Amazon Key In-Garage Delivery. It’s a service that gives Amazon deliver drivers access to your garage. To use this service, you’ll need a $30 Chamberlain myQ Smart Garage Control.
Drop Those Readers
If you’re over 50, you probably have presbyopia. A whopping 80% of us do! Most of us use readers for the issue (THIS is my fave brand!), but now, you may have another alternative. Recently, the Food and Drug Administration approved the first eye drops that treat presbyopia. Yep! Allergan rolled out the prescription medication Vulty in October 2021. Apparently, the drops work by slightly reducing pupil size. Used once a day, they last for up to six hours. You can read more about them HERE.
Fly High with Cheap Flights
Have you heard of Hopper? It’s a free app for Apple iOS and Android that helps you book flights and hotels at the right time to save you money — claiming 95% accuracy, up to 1 year in advance 😲! It’s different than sites like Expedia, Travelocity, or Kayak, because it’s an only-for-mobile app that tells you when you should buy and when you should fly by analyzing a large amount of airfare data on the web. On average, they claim to save users 40% off every time they travel. Read more about it and have the app sent to your phone HERE.
What I’m Loving
1. On-Point Purse – Trust Amazon to come up with their own, less expensive dupe version of the best-selling handbag on their site! THIS is the $80 version carried by numerous celebs (and yours truly—I own it in pink and beige!), Amazon made a great dupe, cut the price in half, and boom! There you go. (And there I go, ordering it in red!)
2. Easter Placemats – Next week, we’re bringing you a post featuring Easter decor, gift ideas, and tablescape finds. And guess what? They’re all under $30! If you’re a bad hostess, like I am, you will love our finds! We found so much goodness that I just had to include two teeny weeny sneak peeks in today’s post! This pretty set of 4 bunny placemats by well-known designer Rachel Ashwell is just $12.99!
3. Swiss Dot Sweetness – Smocked top – ☑. Tiny neck ruffle – ☑. Swiss dots – ☑. Back tie closure – ☑. This blouse has all that and more! Snag one with a ruffled sleeve or opt for the sleeveless version. I ordered one in Baylor green (of course)!
4. Instant (and I mean instant) Carpet Stain Remover – With nearly 68K incredible reviews on Amazon, tons of love from home bloggers, and now TikTok fame, I decided it was time to share this incredible product with you—again. (I did it about two years ago.) We have off-white carpet in our master bedroom, and this carpet cleaner has gotten out everything from coffee to salsa. (Yes, we sometimes eat chips and salsa in bed! 😬 😂) And it gets them out immediately. I don’t know how it works or why 🤷♀️, but trust your pal Suzy, it’s a miracle worker.
5. Precious Easter Devotional – I know many of you have used the best-selling 365-day Jesus Calling devotional. I love mine. Author Sarah Young has compiled 50 of the most Easter-relevant entries from that book and put it into this devotional, called Jesus Calling for Easter. I think it would make an amazing gift for family, friends, or to use as a “party favor” for guests if you’re hosting Easter brunch. Order it at Dayspring HERE or at Amazon HERE.
6. Smooth Feet for Summer – When I complained to my dermatologist about the calluses I had on the edge of my heels, THIS is the cream she told me to buy! With 40% Urea + 2% Salicylic Acid, this cream will bring the business on your calluses, dry cracked skin, and corns. 🦶 (It’s also great for nails, elbows, and knees.) Plus, it’s enriched with Tea Tree Oil, Aloe Vera, Coconut Oil, Camellia Green Tea Leaf Extract to reduce inflammation and irritation.
7. Pretty Pink Pout – Y’all know I’m such a pink girl! Every spring and summer I break out my favorite pink lip gloss. The shade is called Raspberry. In the tube, it looks hot pink, but I assure you it’s not! It goes on sheer, leaving your lips a lovely pink hue. This color is hard to find! Buy it at Sephora HERE, or at Neiman Marcus with free shipping/returns HERE.
8. Sweetest Sundress – This darling midi dress comes in 24 color/pattern options (!) and the bow ties at the shoulder and smocked bodice make it so special. It’s a dupe of the Hill House Home Nap Dresses that took the fashion world by storm last year. I ordered it in navy blue so I could wear it with THESE cute mules.
9. Pearl-Embellished Sandals – If you read our PEARL EMBELLISHED CLOTHING | 5 PRETTY WAYS TO WEAR THE TREND post, you know that pearls are the must-have accessory for the season! My assistant Natalie and I went around and around about whether or not to include these sandals in this post, because they’re going to be featured in our BIG Spring Shoe Round-Up post next week. But your girl Suzy can’t hold back the good stuff from y’all, so, HERE they are!
10. Best Belt Bag – Ringing in at just $38, THIS Lululemon Belt Bag is the hottest accessory of the season so far! I just ordered it in black, but it comes in several (honestly kinda weird 😂) other colors too. Click HERE to see them. (Plus, since it’s from Lulu, women from age 8 up will be all about it!)
11. Easter Table Runner – Here’s another sneak peek at an incredible find from our under $30 Easter tablescape and decor post. THIS embroidered table runner looks like it’s WAY more expensive than it is! (Check out the adorable tassel flowers that give it texture.)
12. Super Slimming Swim – If you put the term “tummy control one-piece” into the Amazon search engine, THIS #1 best-seller will come up at the top! It comes in a whopping 36 colors/patterns and is under $30. I just ordered it in black!
13. Handiest Health Handbook – Fellow empty nester and college student health expert, Dr. Jill Grimes, MD, has just updated her award-winning book, The Ultimate College Student Health Handbook: Your Guide for Everything from Hangovers to Homesickness. This is the best graduation you can give to a high school senior (and their parents)! To read more about it, click HERE.
I hope you feel SO in the KNOW after reading this post. My friends, we’ve got to keep learning and growing in our empty nests. Thanks for joining me on the journey!