1. Donna
    September 5, 2017 @ 9:00 am

These are very valid points for the new empty nester as well as the newly retired. My husband and I have retired a few years and love it. We have plenty to keep us busy with our little urban farm. We are both avid readers and love to cook. Some folks might think this is boring but we enjoy our life now.

September 5, 2017 @ 10:16 am

Donna, that sounds wonderful! I love it that you have an “urban farm.” I’ve never heard of that, but it just sounds divine! Keeping busy and having meaning and purpose in your life is the key, I think. I’d love some good book recommendations from you and also some recipes! Thanks so much for your comment and for reading Empty Nest Blessed. xoxo Suzy

2. Nancy Lacke
    September 5, 2017 @ 12:17 pm

It was definitely a challenging time for me. My career was completely wrapped up in my family. My husband traveled so my life revolved around my children, involvement in the schools, sports, and my friends which also centered around school and sports. As the youngest was in high school I began taking classes in the creative area – drawing – jewelry making. Fast forward a few years and I now have a small business of making jewelry. Through this I have become involved with a supportive maker community where I currently live and continue to grow and learn.

September 5, 2017 @ 4:58 pm

Nancy, thank you for sharing your story with us. I am so happy you found jewelry-making and that you love it so much. WAIT! I just figured out that you are @ADOREJULES on Instagram! Would you be willing to let me feature you in a post about empty nester entrepreneurs during the holiday season? I just love your designs! I’d love to feature you because I’m all about supporting empty nester small businesses and I think growing and learning in the empty nester years are just key. Are you going to get back on Etsy soon? (I saw that you’d taken a break…) I’m sure your kids are so proud of you! Thanks again for your comment and for reading. xoxo Suzy

• Nancy Lacke
        September 6, 2017 @ 7:12 pm

Hi Suzy,

Thank you for your thoughtful reply! I’d love to do a feature on one of your posts!
        I do have a website. It is http://www.adorejules.com. I temporarily closed my Etsy shop to focus on adding to my own website. I have been contemplating reopening the Etsy shop and using both. My website gets traffic, but it doesn’t convert to sales. My sales mainly come from retail partners and events I attend as well as Instagram posts.

I love your blog and have found wonderful tips on family life in general! Your content is fabulous!

Have a great week!
        Nancy <3

September 7, 2017 @ 5:21 am

Nancy,
          Oh, yay!!!! I would love to continue this conversation! Why don’t you email me at [email protected] and we can talk details? Thanks so much. xoxo Suzy

3. Melody Smith
    September 6, 2017 @ 6:02 am

It was difficult for me to start focusing on myself – not my family, my house, my career – me. It evolved slowly, a change here, and class there, and eventually, I no longer felt guilty taking time for me and doing what I wanted. My kids (and now grandkids) are still a huge part of my life, but so are my new goals and dreams. I’m really loving this time of my life.

September 7, 2017 @ 5:23 am

Melody,
      Thanks so much for your candor and transparency! I think you represent so many women – including this one (!) – when you describe your journey to joy in the empty nest transition. It takes time and there’s no way to rush it. You’re such a jewel! Thanks for always sharing from the heart. xoxo Suzy

4. Wendy Howard
    September 7, 2017 @ 6:46 am

I’m loving the margin in my life now and am able to step out and help with hurricane evacuees and even go to Houston to help! I encourage everyone to be intentional about leaving margin and asking the Lord what He wants you to do!

September 8, 2017 @ 5:04 pm

Wendy,
      That’s great advice and I love to see you using your valuable time so wisely. I saw a speaker once who said that time is the most valuable commodity we have because unlike money, we can’t get more of it. Giving time away is such a precious gift and serving others is always such a worthy use of it. xoxo Suzy