It’s January, and as my 25-year-old daughter would say, it’s been a “hot sec” since I’ve posted a SO in the KNOW! (The first time she said that, I thought she said “hot sex,” and I nearly passed out! 🤣)
Seriously though, I haven’t posted a SO in the KNOW since last September! I’m not exactly sure why, except, as I told you in THIS post, at the end of the year last year, I was feeling really burned out. I’ve recommitted myself to seeking a better work/life balance this year, and I’m so grateful for your support and encouragement as I work to do that! Your comments and emails have been so kind. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
As always, click any pink text link or image (including the collages) for more information.
That said, I know these posts are among your very favorites, and I’m going to do my best to get on a more regular posting schedule with them! As you can imagine, I’ve got a lot of good stuff I’ve been saving up, so let’s get you SO in the KNOW, okay?
What I’m Learning
We all know empty nesters who’ve gotten “stuck” and just stopped growing and moving forward in the empty nest season of life. 😢 That makes me so sad! When you’re an empty nester, you’ve got to keep growing and learning! Nobody’s getting stuck on my watch, baby! Here’s what I’m learning this month.
Have you heard of Wordle? It’s the word game sweeping social media —especially the Twitterverse! Yep! A simple word game is the newest social media and pop culture phenomenon! (Who’da thunk it?) The craze is fueled by Millennials who apparently appreciate the simplicity and flat-out fun of the web-based game.
Wordle is a once-a-day game in which you try to guess a five-letter word in six tries. After each guess, the color of the tiles changes to show how close your guess was to the word. There’s no app, and you don’t have to be on your phone to play! In fact, you can only play it on a desktop browser or mobile device HERE.
Tell your adult kids you’re playing, and they’ll be super-impressed with you! 🙌
Which Traffic App is the Best?
Google Maps? Apple Maps? Nope. According to Consumer Reports, if you’re looking for real-time, up-to-date traffic info, it’s WAZE! Powered by fun, easy-to-read graphics, the ability it gives you to share route information with friends and family, and especially the real-time traffic information provided by users, it’s widely touted as the best of the best. And it’s FREE! If you don’t have it, you can download it here.
Have you ever heard of the Marco Polo app? It’s a video messaging app that’s sort of like a video walkie-talkie! I feel like it combines the best things about texting, social media, and video chat, all in a FREE app. I use it all the time with my kids, friends, and even my assistant! It’s perfect for telling a story or sharing updates when you don’t have the time to text.
What I’m Loving
- Long Sleeve Layering Tees – Are y’all sick of hearing about these tees? 😂 I feel like I’ve been talking about them, and talking, and talking! Trust me, they’re worthy! These under $15 tees are the ones favored by frontline healthcare workers to layer under their scrubs. (Yep! They’re even called “underscrubs!)” The fact that they’re used by healthcare workers means they’re affordable, easy-care (machine wash & machine dry), and they come in about a zillion colors! They fit TTS and won’t shrink.
- Ready to Brush Mini Toothbrushes – If you feel like the older you get, the more stuff that gets stuck in your teeth, you are not imagining things! According to WebMD, As we age, our tooth enamel wears down, so your teeth get a little smaller and the spaces between them get slightly wider, which means food gets trapped more easily! This toothbrush/tongue cleaner/toothpick combo is preloaded with toothpaste, making it easy to stick in your purse and use on the go. No water needed, so it’s great for travel or to use after lunch with the girls, etc. Bob and I split this multipack.
- Shine Infusion Spray – I am not kidding you when I tell you that this wieghtless spray will infuse shine into your hair! I use it sometimes before I have to be on camera, and definitely before special events. It’s great for my coarse, wavy/curly hair, but if you straighten your hair and do the sleek, shiny look, this spray will do amazing things for you.
- Satchel Purse Set – I confess that I haven’t see this leather-look set in person, but I’ve got it in my cart! I’ve been looking for a tote with a zippered closure that I can use for short trips, and, although I’m not crazy about the faux croc versions, the “2-1 Black” and the “2-2 Brown” look good. I’ll let you know!
- The Case for Heaven by Lee Strobel – People ask me all the time what I’m reading, and right now it’s this fantastic book. I. LOVE. IT. Award-winning investigative journalist Lee Strobel interviews various experts about the evidence for the afterlife and what happens when we die. Lee Strobel is the best-selling author of one of my very favorite books, The Case for Christ, where he shares his own personal story of going from atheist to man of faith after examining the evidence. His story was made into a movie, which you can watch HERE.
- Built-in Wedge Sneakers – I own these faux suede sneakers and I feel so “street style” when I wear them! 😂 They have memory foam insoles, and a one-inch hidden wedge to help you with better posture and give you a little extra height. They look great with any jeans style, with leggings, or with joggers. So comfy and available in wide widths too.
- Prayers to Share: 100 Pass-Along Notes to Share the Love by Candace Cameron Bure – I first told you about this book in my post called Gift Ideas I Wish I’d Put on the ENB Holiday Gift Guide, but it bears repeating! This precious book features 100 tear-outs that you can use to remind others how much they are loved! Each one includes a prayer, corresponding Scripture, and an inspirational quote.
- Invisawear Security Necklace – What if there was an everyday accessory that was actually a safety device? Backed by ADT, these pretty wearables (think necklaces, scrunchies, bracelets, and more) allow you to quickly summon help in an emergency situation. Send your location to loved ones and 9-1-1 even if you don’t know where you are or can’t speak You can also enable a free 9-1-1 feature (US only) to connect with 9-1-1 dispatchers. This is a great idea for elderly, college students, and pretty much anyone. To learn more, click HERE.
- Cuticle Conditioning Butter Sticks – I have these all-natural cuticle conditioning sticks stashed in my car, my purse, and on my bedside table! They’re not greasy and won’t leave oily stains on your sheets or clothes like some cuticle oil can. This one (that I use) is made with milk & honey, but I think it’s discontinued, but the updated product is made with pomegranate & fig.
- Discretion Bra Pad Inserts – Sometimes those pads in swimwear or workout bras get worn out, lost, or mangled in the laundry. So sometimes those pads need replacing in order to remain classy and ladylike when wearing said garments. 😂 That happened to me recently and I ordered these, just sayin’. Also, never let it be said that I’m not open and authentic with y’all, just sayin’. 🤣
- Vegan Leather Top Handle Crossbody Mini Bag – According to my inside source, this well-priced bag is flying off the shelves at Nordstrom right now, and it’s no wonder! As I told you in my 2022 Fashion Trends to Watch post, mini bags are a huge trend this year. This one comes in 10 shades. Click HERE to see them all.
- Voltaren – YES, I realize it’s very old person to post a link to my pain relief cream! 😂 Last year when I herniated a disc in my back (Still kinda recovering! 🙄), this is the non-greasy pain relief gel my doctor recommended. The active ingredient in Voltaren is the powerful topical anti-inflammatory Diclofenac. Until 2021, it was a prescription, but now it’s OTC! (Again, very old person to be so excited about this! 🤣) You can read more about it HERE. Y’all, this is a product you want to keep on hand in your medicine cabinet, because you never know when you might need it for sprains, strains, bruises, etc. (So old person!) 👵
- Praying the Scriptures for Your Adult Children by Jodie Berndt – Did you know that the most read post (like ev-ah!) on Empty Nest Blessed is my post called How to Pray for Your Adult Children | Six Bible Verses to Use. In that post, I talk about the book The Power of Praying for Your Adult Children, by Stormie Omartian. After reading that post, an ENB follower shared Jodie Berndt’s book with me. It has been such a blessing! If you need guidance and encouragement in praying for your adult kids, you will find this book so helpful!
I hope you feel SO in the KNOW! Got anything you’re learning & loving in your empty nest that you’d like to share with our ENB community? Please leave a comment and bless us all!
P.S. With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, I thought it might be a good time to remind you about our Valentine’s Day Gift Ideas Under $30 POST & Gift Guide! We’re sharing everything from decor and tablescape ideas to gift ideas for your adult kids! Click HERE to check it out.