1. Sheri Baker
    July 7, 2020 @ 6:12 pm

Suzy, I am so glad you enjoyed your trip to Idaho. We have friends whose son, Yale, was in the productions with your daughter. We love going up to Starlight. There is nothing else like it, the stage, the mountains, the air. Except for the Idaho Shakespeare Festival setting in Boise. Maybe one day your daughter will get a contract and perform there!

July 7, 2020 @ 6:23 pm

Sheri,
      How fun that your friend Yale performed with Becca! She has had such a wonderful experience with Starlight! We feel so blessed to have been there, and I know she does too!
      Thanks for reading and leaving a comment!

2. Kellie
    July 8, 2020 @ 9:33 am

Great post! This is my favorite type of content that you do,
    I am the planner in my family for these kinds of trips and it is STRESSFUL! I always feel responsible if things don’t go as planned, or if places, events, restaurants, etc are a disappointment.
    We took a multi-generational cruise to Alaska last summer. (Thanks for all your great tips, of which I used a TON!)
    Cruises (before The Covid) are great for trips like that because there is something for everyone. We planned a couple of dinners as a big group but everyone planned there own excursions, etc. There were hurt feelings when an aunt and uncle didn’t realize we would be taking a family photo and felt like they did not bring appropriate attire. I apologized profusely and felt terrible that I had assumed everyone would bring at least one “dressy” outfit. Communication!! Oh well!
    The only other pickle is deciding how to handle finances when your grown kids are at different stages of their career and have different financial situations. I would love to hear some 20 somethings take on that. You want to be fair and equitable, you don’t want to make them feel as if they are being disrespected as adults, and yet, sometimes, if you want to do things as a big family, you may need to gift some part of the trip in order for it to happen. Tricky!

July 8, 2020 @ 12:19 pm

Kellie,
      Thank you for your insightful comment! I love doing really in-depth posts like this too, but there are also people who beg for more fashion and beauty content! I do try to spread it around, and I’m so grateful for your feedback!
      I loved your comments and I so agree that cruises might just be the ideal multi-gen trip – everyone has some privacy with separate cabins, there are a variety of excursions to choose from, and there’s always something to talk about at dinner! Here’s hoping they’ll be back sooner rather than later, right?
      I loved your point about finances, and have never really thought about that aspect! I’m going to think on that and ask a few of the smart 20-somethings I know what they think about that!
      Thanks so much for reading and commenting!

• Elizabeth
      July 8, 2020 @ 1:45 pm

Great comments and yes the finance situation is a tricky one esp when like you say grown children all in different situations. We are away for 8 nights with our children and their spouses and two grandchildren. We decided to pay for all the accommodation and the kids have to take care of activity expenses and cafe visits and their own fuel costs. Holidays are expensive and it’s so nice when kids want to holiday with us and their siblings. We are all traveling in our own cars which gives everyone some space and own time but have a big house booked. I’ve booked separate motel units for our one night stays

July 8, 2020 @ 2:47 pm

Elizabeth,
        That’s similar to what we did! We paid for accommodations and picked up the tab for meals out, but everyone else had to pay to get themselves there and also buy their food, drinks, etc. That was a good way to do it, I think!

3. Gina
    July 8, 2020 @ 10:45 am

I’d love to know what you packed for the trip. Was luggage a problem with that many people?

July 8, 2020 @ 12:22 pm

Gina,
      Great question! You can see from the photos in this post pretty much what I took! It was A LOT, because we wore layers and added/stripped things off as needed throughout the day! Add to that – my Becca had things she wanted us to bring her and things she wanted to send home! I’m embarrassed to tell you that Bob and I had FOUR suitcases! (To be fair, he also had to pack his waders and other fly-fishing gear!)
      Thanks for reading and leaving a comment!

4. Shannon Leyerle
    July 8, 2020 @ 10:52 am

Great post, Suzy! Even though there were a few bumps, it sounds like a wonderful family trip! And thanks for sharing ways that it could have been better. Good advice!

July 8, 2020 @ 12:24 pm

Shannon,
      Thanks so much for your kind words! It really was good, but as always, I wanted to share what I learned! We’re thinking our next multi-gen trip might need to be a Disney Cruise! What do you think?

5. Elizabeth
    July 8, 2020 @ 1:40 pm

Some great tips! We are about to head away for six nights with ten of us – our children and their spouses and Two grandchildren aged 5 and 2. It will be fun but I know having two little ones along can add stress especially with sleep times and long car drives. But we also think how cool is it that our kids and their spouses want to do a holiday with us .

July 8, 2020 @ 2:41 pm

Elizabeth,
      That sounds fun, but yes! There will be some stress in that for sure! We felt so blessed that everyone wanted to go as well! So cool! Have a wonderful trip and thanks for your comment!