1. Patti
    February 6, 2017 @ 8:49 am

This post came at a perfect time for me as my son is engaged to a lovely girl. I want to be a mil that she wants to be around. We are also lucky like you in that we truly like her. I plan to check out the book you recommended as well! Thanks!

February 6, 2017 @ 10:57 am

Sweet Patti,
      Thank you so much for your lovely comment. You will LOVE being a MIL! I especially loved being the MOG (what a TERRIBLE acronym, am I right?), because you get to share all the excitement and joy, but you get a lot less of the stress! I know you are going to do great. Thank you so much for reading and commenting, and congratulations! xoxo Suzy

2. Carole Pope
    February 6, 2017 @ 9:00 am

Thank you Suzy, I think this might be in response to my request.
    Lots of really helpful comments here, especially the divided loyalties bit which I struggle with having always been very connected with my son.
    I am going to get the book, just in case!
    Thank you also to the family for allowing you to share some of the wonderful wedding pictures. What a joyous day it looked!

February 6, 2017 @ 11:01 am

Sweet Carole,
      It IS a response to your request! Thank you for urging me to really think through what we did and how we did it (and of course, continue to do). It was a sweet exercise in reflection and Bob and I loved discussing it together. It was also such a blessing to ask some older, wise friends their take on it. I loved sharing the book, as well. You are such a dear. Let me know if you have any other requests for me! Hugs to you, Suzy

3. Sarah
    February 7, 2017 @ 9:12 am

Good article. I wanted to offer perspective from the “other side” – I have the girl (my daughter) who dated the boy… it went terribly wrong, and here’s my “take away” from it.
    We welcomed their son into our home, our lives, our hearts. We adored (still do) this young man who is so obviously a gentleman, loves the Lord, and adores our daughter. He went everywhere with us, it was wonderful.
    His mother became jelous. In her words, “She only had 2 more years with him” and she wanted him to herself. This mother insisted that her son break up with my daughter, and forced it. When he reached out to my daughter (naturally missing her and us), SHE took his phone and broke up with my daughter again.
    I met her for coffee, in a neutral place to talk. She seemed very intent on keeping them apart, for no reason other than, “she wanted time with her son.”
    To this day, we are heartbroken. The young man is 16, has had his phone taken away for the past 4 months straight, is no allowed to go outside (we live in the same neighborhood) because he “might see my daughter.” He is grounded from life basically. Nothing happened. She just feels he should “concentrate on Jesus.” Well, Jesus made us for relationships…and they had a very innocent one.
    Anyways, he hates his mother, and the two have made their own plans when they become adults. It’s sad that she’s hanging on to him so tight instead of trusting her son to make good decisions on his own. He is a wonderful kid. It’s sad, and a good example of what happens when a mother doesn’t let go of control.

February 7, 2017 @ 2:22 pm

Sarah,
      WOW! That is quite a story. It breaks my heart. That poor mother must really be hurting and in pain to cause that much pain to others. I will be praying for your family, and especially your sweet daughter. Thank you for commenting. I am so sorry. Hugs, Suzy

• Sarah
        February 7, 2017 @ 9:10 pm

Aww, thanks Suzy! (Big hug.) We would be so blessed by your prayers!! I know that if it’s meant to be, he will find her one day.