1. Carole Pope
    November 16, 2016 @ 7:41 am

A lovely blog, such true wise words.
    I am off to my retreat, ‘women facing change’ , tomorrow. You might remember I mentioned it. Quite exciting as not sure what to expect. I hope the life coach will be as good and inspirational as you!
    If you hold a course I will fly to the USA! Food for thought!

November 16, 2016 @ 7:56 am

OH my word, sweet Carole! That is so sweet of you to say. I’ll let you know on that one! I hope your retreat is wonderful and refreshing for your soul. I can’t wait to hear about it! Hugs to you, Suzy

2. Anita Barnett
    November 17, 2016 @ 11:01 am

Such truth here! Love the idea of “balcony people” vs “basement people”! I will look for that book 🙂

November 17, 2016 @ 9:08 pm

Thank you, Anita! You are a balcony person, for sure! xoxo Suzy

3. Sarah Candelaria
    November 23, 2016 @ 8:57 am

I just “discovered” you while browsing Instagram, and then quickly followed you once I saw your niche! I’m 42, and I’m always looking for someone who’s a little further ahead in the journey for wisdom and wit. What a wonderful person you seem to be. I’m excited to have stumbled upon your blog! I entered your Nordstrom card giveaway too – fingers crossed!!!

4. Alexis
    November 25, 2016 @ 1:53 pm

I’m now so interested in reading “Balcony People”.

Such beautiful and wise words!

5. Chris
    January 13, 2019 @ 5:06 am

Thank you for your wise words Suzy. I found your blog while looking for help at a helpless empty nester moment. I’m wondering what to do when an adult child is seeking affirmation for a decision we parents don’t agree with. My husband and I do try to bite our tongues and be balcony people at all times, but when our 26 year old daughter announced she wants to move in with a young man she has only known a few months, we were shocked and couldn’t hold back our dismay. We live overseas and she says we are trying to control her life from across the ocean. Is silence and prayer (which we’ve been doing a lot of) our only option?

January 13, 2019 @ 9:34 pm

Chris,
      I’m so glad you reached out to me. I can hear the pain in your writing. I am so sorry. What you’ve described is one of the most painful things a parent can experience. I’m not an expert on this subject, for sure, but I have heard people recommend a book by the late Ruth Bell Graham called “Prodigals and Those Who Love Them” (http://bit.ly/2D7o2Eb). Two of her five kids were prodigals. You might want to check it out. I think as parents it’s important that we are clear with our kids when we don’t approve of their choices and that we are also clear as to why. Beyond that, there’s not much we can do, and nagging certainly doesn’t help! Sometimes when I have something difficult to say to my kids, I tell them, “It’s important to me that you understand fully and completely what I think of what you’re doing and why. I’m going to tell you one time, and I’m going to be thorough because as your parent, I need to know that I’ve made my thoughts clear to you. After that, you will do whatever you are going to do, and just like with all decisions, your choice will have consequences. But I will not continue to repeat myself to you and my love for you will not change.”
      I hope that helps, even a little bit, Chris. Please know that I’ll be praying for you and your situation. xoxo Suzy