1. Suzy Catullo
    March 11, 2019 @ 10:01 am

Hi Suzy –
    I really like this post. Have often wondered about some of these diets. I am hypothyroid with the added problem of fibromyalgia. I try to avoid highly inflammatory foods. No red meat, no dairy, very, very little sugar ( have tried to eliminate it entirely but my gosh, it’s in everything). I limit nightshade vegetables, but my husband is of Italian descent and would probably die if he couldn’t have pasta, tomatoes, eggplant etc! I drink unsweetened almond milk because dairy doesn’t work for me. So I guess you could add lactose intolerant to my list of food issues. I order the exact same thing at every restaurant. So boring! Thanks again for this post and have a blessed day,

March 11, 2019 @ 2:48 pm

Suzanne, Thanks for your comment! I do the same thing at restaurants! So boring, but it’s not worth the risk of having an adverse reaction. I’m so glad you liked the post and so appreciative that you shared your situation with me! xoxo Suzy

2. Lauren
    March 11, 2019 @ 11:00 am

Hi Suzy,
    This is a great overview … makes for a very helpful post!
    I’m so sorry you have to deal with those various health challenges. My new daughter-in-law has celiac disease, which has prompted me to seek out new recipes and food approaches for when she visits. You must be doing a really good job of carefully managing your diet, as you always look so vibrant and healthy!
    Blessings,
    Lauren

March 12, 2019 @ 3:14 pm

Lauren,
      What a sweet thing to say! Thank you! We all have things we have to manage in our lives, and this is mine! What a precious MIL you are, to work on finding special recipes for when she visits. That is so kind of you! I have so many restrictions now, my family has basically given up on that! Hahahaha! Thanks so much for your sweet comment and I’m so glad you found the post helpful! xoxo Suzy

3. Darlene Schwab
    March 11, 2019 @ 11:46 am

Suzy,
    Thank you for this post that was to the point and gave a summary of all of the diet plans that we hear about today. In addition I thank you sooooo much for allowing yourself to share about your own health concerns that contribute to Your own dietary needs. I started following you 2 years ago when my last daughter left for college. This was a very hard time for me as my daughter who is a sophomore (19 yr) has Sjorens Syndrome and Lupus. I have Mixed Connective Tissue Disease and my older daughter who is 30 has Rhemetoid Arthritis. Sorry so lengthy but all that to say as a family we try very hard to make healthy food choices (especially at college) and in our busy lives. I know sometimes as we are making food choices people probably think we’re crazy but we try to avoid too much salt, sugar and processed foods. It was a blessing to me that you stated that your disease is something you have and not who you are. I am going to pass that statement on to my daughters who work hard daily to feel well and not let it define them. Your post was a blessing to me, Thank you! Darlene

March 11, 2019 @ 3:47 pm

Darlene, Your comment made me tear up! Thank you for your honesty and vulnerability! My 22-year-old college senior daughter has lupus and celiac too. It’s heartbreaking to watch and basically know that she got it from me.???? But you know what, Darlene? The Lord has really used it to keep our relationship close! We GET each other! So I’m thankful for that. You are modeling your attitude about health challenges for your girls, and I know they’re watching! I’m so thankful you can do that for them. EVERYBODY HAS SOMETHING! I may have these health challenges, it I also have a great marriage, a beautiful home, two parents who are still living, kids who are walking with the Lord, and one precious daughter-in-law. I am Empty Nest Blesssed! Big hugs to you and thank you for sharing your situation. xoxo Suzy

4. Lisa Richardson
    March 11, 2019 @ 12:46 pm

Great comprehensive post! Trying to figure out what’s best makes my head spin. I was basically doing intermittent fasting before it was even a thing. Ive been doing two low carb days a week for almost 2 years and my cholesterol is slightly elevated. I blame eggs. I never ate them before, so I’m going to eliminate them again and see what happens. I feel sure my mom has intolerance to certain foods, but you can lead a horse to water…????

March 11, 2019 @ 3:23 pm

Lisa, Thanks so much for sharing your situation. I wonder about the eggs? I’ve always heard it’s the yolk that causes cholesterol probs, but I’m not an expert for sure!
      Maybe you could just do egg whites? (Eggs are another migraine trigger for me, so I don’t eat them at all. ????????) Thanks for your comment and I’m so glad you enjoyed the post!

5. Robin Browne
    March 11, 2019 @ 2:02 pm

Hey girl,
    Do you also practice intermmiting fasting? If so which one do you follow? I would like to start but there are so many different ways to do it I’m a little confused. Fasting for certain days? Which days and how many days 1 or 2? Fasting for certain hours of the day? Which time of the day and for how many hours?
    Also do you have supplements you take daily? If so which ones I’m especially interested in those you might take for your autoimmune disease since I suffer from RA and Thyroid.
    I so wish I could lose 15 pounds and get back to 120. Peri menopause and a lack of exercise due to joint pain have really changed my 5 ft body over the last 5 years,

March 11, 2019 @ 3:03 pm

Robin,
      If I tried to fast I think I I would faint! No, I don’t do that. I use Juice Plus supplements. My Gastrointerologist recommended them. Maybe your Rheumatologist could recommend some that are good for your conditions. I hope you might consider working with a nutritionist on your weight issues. I know it’s really helped a lot of people deal with similar issues. Being overweight causes a myriad of other issues, so I hope you address that! It’s a tough place to be, and all of this takes so much more time and attention at our age. It can be frustrating! (But the alternative is worse!) Thanks did being so honest, sweet Robin! Big hugs to you! xoxo Suzy

6. Laura Rieger
    March 11, 2019 @ 11:51 pm

Hi Suzy,
    Very interesting post. I can eat anything and do –the issue for me is getting enough cardio during the winter. But my 25 year old daughter has both lupus and fibromyalgia and it’s so painful to see her suffer. She has moved from a strict vegan diet to a looser vegetarian diet on her physician’s suggestion and is doing better. She avoids dairy products but does eat chicken and fish now. You always look so beautiful and energetic. I was happy to read that you take a brief daily nap. I work full-time but on my two days off, I try to lay down for a bit and it’s so refreshing. Thinking of you and Bob and praying his surgery is uneventful and recovery goes well.

March 12, 2019 @ 3:21 pm

Laura,
      So sweet of you, thanks! Bob is recovering well and has a great attitude! It must be tough to see your daughter suffer with those conditions. It’s tough for me to watch my daughter too as she struggles with her health issues. Oh, and taking a nap – the best medicine in the world!
      I’m so glad you liked the post! I’m always grateful for your encouragement! xoxo Suzy

7. Wendy Howard, RD, LD
    March 12, 2019 @ 12:10 am

Good job with this! As a registered, licensed dietitian I have to add this segment about the Keto diet from. Harvard review. It frustrates me to no end that people will sacrifice their health for the sake of losing a few pounds. I will never recommend this diet except for those who need it for seizure control.
    “Some negative side effects of a long-term ketogenic diet have been suggested, including increased risk of kidney stones and osteoporosis, and increased blood levels of uric acid (a risk factor for gout). Possible nutrient deficiencies may arise if a variety of recommended foods on the ketogenic diet are not included. It is important to not solely focus on eating high-fat foods, but to include a daily variety of the allowed meats, fish, vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seeds to ensure adequate intakes of fiber, B vitamins, and minerals (iron, magnesium, zinc)—nutrients typically found in foods like whole grains that are restricted from the diet. Because whole food groups are excluded, assistance from a registered dietitian may be beneficial in creating a ketogenic diet that minimizes nutrient deficiencies.”

March 12, 2019 @ 3:26 pm

Wendy,
      Thanks for adding that! I’m always grateful for your expertise!

8. Daniela
    March 12, 2019 @ 8:04 am

I have heard of the keto diet but did not know what it entailed. I try to eat clean no processed or fake foods and limit my sugar intake. I know it is a typo. Thanks for the laugh…. vegans extend their diet to include clothing and cleaning products.????

March 12, 2019 @ 3:27 pm

Daniela,
      It sounds like you’re doing a great job! Thanks so much for your comment! I’m glad you enjoyed the post!

9. Joanie McLeod
    March 12, 2019 @ 2:29 pm

Great summary of the most popular “diet” plans these days. Thanks! For me, clean eating with nutritional cleansing has been a game changer in my health and the health of so many friends. Five years strong. I have found my happy place and am so very grateful. ❤️

March 12, 2019 @ 3:30 pm

Joanie,
      I’m so happy you enjoyed the post and found it helpful! Wow! I don’t know a lot about cleansing…maybe a topic for another post! Thanks for leaving me a comment. xoxo Suzy

10. LeAna
    May 3, 2019 @ 10:57 am

Hi Suzy: This is what I was looking for! I love how you broke down each diet discipline with such key descriptions. This was very helpful. Thank you.

May 3, 2019 @ 11:34 am

Leana,
      I am soooo happy you found this helpful! I can’t wait to read about what you’re going to do on your blog! xoxo Suzy