Fall is in the air, and with it, fresh fall fashion trends to, well, fall for! So, what’s new for fall? What do you have in your closet that’s still good? What do you need to donate or resell? I’m going to answer all of those questions and more! There are lots of new fall trends out there, and today, I’m sharing the top five that you need to know.
First of all, before you dive into this post, I highly recommend that you read my 2023 Fall Color Palette post! You need to know the trending colors, the colors that you might want to move away from, and the shades that are still current! While you’re at it, be sure and check out all the Empty Nest Blessed’s Guide to Fall section of the website! We’ve pulled together all of the fall content we’ve shared so far—including fall decor, how to dress for the fall transition, and even my favorite fall chili recipe!
We’ve done our best to choose well-priced items to save you time and clicks! For more information on anything (including pricing and color options), click the pink text links or any image.
About the Fall Fashion Trends
The first thing you need to know is that fashion really isn’t all that complex! It follows a pretty predictable cycle!
Most fashion trends have about a 4-year cycle. In year one, it’s on the fashion runways, in designer collections, and on celebrities (Read that: it’s expensive!). In year two, you’ll see it at some of the department stores and mid-price brands like J.Crew, Talbots, Loft and Chico’s. In years 2-3, you’ll see it hit the mass marketers like Target and Walmart. By year 4, you’ll still be able to find it, but you’ll see it begin to fade away.
Classic Fall Fashion Trends
All of these styles are classics that come back every fall! I’m telling you how to wear them this year.
- Plaid – Wear it as a jacket or a skirt, or incorporate it into this season’s shirtdress trend.
- Houndstooth – Another fall classic. This year, wear it as a blazer.
- Animal Print – It never really goes out! This year, incorporate it with another trend or micro trend, like fringe. This belted cardigan is so chic!
- Loungewear – I don’t think loungewear will ever go out of style! (At least, I hope not!😊) This year, wear elevated two-piece sets like the one I’m wearing above. (These are HUGE this year and almost made our must-have fall fashion list!) and utility joggers meant to be worn at home and out and about.
Fall Fashion Trends to Keep Wearing
These may not be cutting-edge this year, but if you have them in your closet, by all means, keep wearing them! (They’re probably in year 2-3 of their cycles.) If you love them, consider adding them into your wardrobe in one of fall’s hottest hues.
- Ruffles (Either tiny ruffles at the neck and on a yoke OR big ruffles.)
- Faux Leather – I love this faux leather sleeve henley and this chic midi!
- Sheer – I just ordered this sheer sleeve top on Amazon in two colors!
- Fringe – This trim is still on-trend! Go small or go big, but embrace the fringe!
- Hoodies – Look for hoodies on sweaters and casual dresses or (slightly) dressier dresses! Even look for yummy cashmere hoodies!
- Quilted – You’ll still see plenty of quilted vests, handbags, and more!
- Button Fly – Look for button-fly corduroys, straight-leg jeans, or skirts.
Fall Fashion Trends to Stop Buying
These trends on on the way out. Don’t buy any more of these! And if you’re downsizing, consider donating or reselling.
- Snake Prints
- Severely Distressed/Deconstructed Jeans
- Skinny Jeans
5 Major Fall Fashion Trends You Need to Know
Of course, there are more than five, but we’ve chosen the ones that we think are most relevant and wearable for empty nesters. (But, of course!😊) Within each trending style, there are variations, which make the trends wearable for various body types. 🙌
1. Wide Leg Pants
Talbots Greenwich Pants (25% off right now & also in tan & black) | Amazon’s The Drop Sweater (The Drop is my favorite Amazon in-house brand. The quality is always so good! I own this sweater in 3 colors!)| Sam Edelman Nude Pumps | Tory Burch Huggie Logo Earrings
It’s no secret that wide-leg pants are everywhere this season! If you’re not quite ready to embrace them yet, I get it! Work your way up to them by buying straight-leg pants or jeans, then maybe go for a waist-flattering bootcut. Finally, find a quality pair of wide-leg pants in a basic color like black or navy. They can be wide-leg cropped or full-length. I really like this pair of tailored indigo wide-leg pants. They hit the sweet spot between jeans and slacks perfectly!
Suzy’s Pro Tip: When you’re looking for wide-leg pants, look for other features that make the silhouette flattering. The Talbots Greenwich Pants I’m wearing above are a good example! The wide leg is balanced out by a high waist and a flat front with a side zip and waist framing buttons on the side. (Giving them a slightly nautical look.)
2. Midi Skirt
The midi skirt is THE trending skirt of the season! Look for midi skirts in just about every color and fabric you can imagine! Here are some great examples:
- Denim midi skirts – Many have long slits up the front or back, so be sure to sit down before you buy! 😬😂 THIS is the one I just ordered.
- Slip Skirts – In either polyester or washable silk, This is the midi-length slip skirt I own and am wearing in the photo above.
- Faux Leather
Even though the midi skirt might be the latest look, you’ll still see lots of darling above-the-knee skirts this year. They’re cute paired with tall riding boots or heeled boots when it gets chilly. To keep it current, look for ones that incorporate another trend, like my skirt with the button fly front.
3. Utility/Cargo Styles
No Boundaries Wide Leg Cargo Jeans (Elastic back for a perfect fit!) | No Boundaries Cap Sleeve T-Shirt (Not stretchy, so order your normal size.) | Celebrity Pink Puff Sleeve Denim Jacket (Has a little stretch for easy movement.👍) | Madden NYC Rhinestone Chain Lug Sole Booties | Silver Tone CZ Stud Earrings
Utility style started emerging last year as a trend, and this year, it’s hitting its stride! (Read that: It might be time to buy in—even if just in a small way!) Characterized by things like large side (and sometimes front) pockets—often with flap closures and snaps, this style is here to stay (for women and men) for a while.
In addition to classic cargo pants, look for utility/cargo style:
- Twill Joggers
- Lightweight “Quick Dry” Joggers
- Knit (Sweatpant fabrication) Joggers
- Vests Suzy’s Pro Tip: Look for a drawstring cinched waist to make this flattering.
- High Waist Trousers
- Jackets – Suzy’s Pro Tip: Look for a drawstring cinched waist to make this flattering.
4. Johnny Collar
If you only buy one style this season, make it a Johnny Collar sweater!
Talbots Johnny Collar Sweater (45% off and in 4 colors) | Talbots Montauk Pant (Flat front, high waist, kick flare leg, ankle length knit)50% off | Franco Sarto Tassel Lug Sole Loafer (Mine are last year’s style. Linking to this year’s nearly identical pair.)
The preppy look is back, and with it, the polo-style Johnny Collar! This face-framing, not-too-fussy style is universally flattering! Look for lots of Johnny Collar sweaters (¾-sleeve & full-length sleeve, and even well-priced cashmere!), as well as sweater dresses. Even though this style is preppy, look for Johnny Collar sweaters with feminine detailing like scalloped edging or pointelle stitching.
The shirtdress is trending! Bonus points if it’s utility style!
Shirtdresses are having a moment! Typically, we see a few every year, but this year, they’re a must-have item. They’re flattering on everyone, can be worn with or without a belt, and they can also be worn open as a long shacket! That versatility put it on our 2023 fall fashion trends must-have list!
You’ll find short ones and long ones, and many of them will be utility-style, but not all of them! Look at THIS pretty Tencel shirtdress, with a feminine fit & flare style. and this puff sleeve, flounce hem shirtdress.
I can’t wait to hear what you think about the fall fashion styles! Let me know your thoughts in the comments, okay? Also, if you have any specific questions, let me know those as well!
In the boutique below, you an take another look at all of the 2023 fall fashion trends that we shared in this post! Click on any item to check on pricing (so miuch is on sale!), alternate colors, fabric descriptions, and more!
If you enjoyed this post, you may have a friend who would enjoy it too! Would you consider sharing it with others? Tap the icons at the bottom of the page where you see “Share This Post.” You can also Pin the image below on your Pinterest page! Be sure you’re following me on Pinterest too!