Ohhh, y’all! Summer is just around the corner, and I am all in! As you will see, this month’s SO in the KNOW is somewhat focused on getting back out there! I hope you’re planning on traveling this summer. We are! In fact, we’re headed to our beach condo in just a little over a week, and I’m so excited! I’ve missed it so much.
If you’re new around here (and I know lots of you are!), then welcome! I’m so happy you’re here! When you’re an empty nester, it’s easy to think of yourself as “retired” and get kind of stuck in a rut. (We all know people like that! 🙁) But it’s not a healthy way to live! Being empty nest blessed means you want to keep learning, growing, and blessing others in this stage of life, and I’m on that journey too. So every month, I share what I’m learning and loving in my empty nest. I want to help you stay SO in the KNOW!
When I write this post, I picture you sitting around the table sharing a meal with your man, your girlfriends, or your adult kids, and sharing the good scoop you got right here! I’ve got a lot to share this month, so let’s jump right in.
What I’m Learning
Got Verses? Get Verses!
If memorizing Scripture is as important to you as it is to me, you’ll love the Get Verses app as much as I do! It uses games and other kinesthetic methods to help you hide God’s Word in your heart. Check out the video below, and download it HERE.
Best Oils for Everything
I’m not the greatest (or the most frequent – LOL) cook, but I will tell you that there is something that has always been a mystery to me: which oil to use when! This week I ran across an awesome article that broke it down, so I thought I’d share what I learned with you.
Basically, each oil has a diffent smoke point, which is the temperature at which it begins to burn and break down.
You need an oil that stands up to high heat for frying.
- Canola Oil
- Vegetable Oil
- Light or Regular Olive Oil (not extra virgin)
Sauteing & Roasting
The oils below will work for most oven and stove-top preparation. If you’re using high-heat for cooking, like making stir fry or searing a steak, opt for Canola Oil.
- Olive Oil
- Avocado Oil
- Sesame Oil
- Sunflower Oil
- Nut Oils
Don’t use olive or coconut oils unless a recipe specifically calls for them – they’ll affect the final flavor. Instead opt for:
- Vegetable Oil (lightest flavor)
- Corn Oil
- Canola Oil
You Control Your Facebook Feed Now!
After years of complaints, Facebook has finally given you a little more control over how you see your News Feed. Now you can opt for the algorithmic, Facebook-curated feed OR the full feed arranged in reverse chronological order! Hooray!
Here are the new choices:
- The Home Feed – a fully algorithmic stream of content that Facebook thinks you’ll want to see the most.
- The Recent Feed – a listing of all the posts from the accounts you follow, in reverse chronological order.
- The Favorites Feed – which shows posts from up to 30 friends and pages you’ve marked as favorites.
Unfortunately, what Facebook isn’t giving you is the ability to stick to your feed of choice—unless your feed of choice is the algorithmic Home Feed, that is. 🙄 If you make another selection and then close the app, you’ll be back in the algorithmic Home Feed the next time you open the app. Sigh…it’s a start, right?
To adjust your Feed to The Favorites Feed (on a laptop or tablet):
- When you’re on your profile page, tap the down arrow (looks like a triangle) in the top right-hand corner of your screen.
- Go to “Settings & Privacy>News Feed Settings>Manage Favorites
- Select Favorites by clicking next to a person or Page. To find specific Friends or Pages you follow, use the search bar. To remove a Favorite, click next to the person or Page you want to remove.
- When you are finished, click .
To adjust your Feed to The Chronological Feed (on a laptop or tablet):
- From your News Feed, click See More in the left menu.
- Click Most Recent in the left sidebar.
What I’m Loving
- Retro “Bikini” – If you thought your bikini days were over, you might want to think again! This “retro” style bikini is practically a tankini, thanks to the super-trendy high waist and “strategic” 😂 ruching that holds in everything! Like, I mean, seriously, you can’t even see your belly button! 🤣 Now that’s my kind of bikini! There are (wait for it…) 33 prints that range in price from $16.99-$29.99 + free shipping/returns, so you pretty much can’t go wrong! Click HERE to browse.
2. Terrarium Candle – These 3.5″ H x 3″ dia. hand-poured soy candles would make the sweetest Mother’s Day gift, Hostess gift, or display piece. They’re from Uncommon Goods, one of my very favorite sources for unique and creative gifts. I ordered the pink poppy candle for my new home office!
3. Label Maker – Anyone else obsessed with labeling things? 🙋♀️ My super-organized friend turned me on to this ingenious handheld wireless label maker. It’s lightweight and uses wireless technology to design and print pre-designed or custom labels up to 0.6″ wide – right from your mobile device! I bought Bob the black one so he’d quit stealing my pink one! 😁
4. “Confetti” Beaded Earrings – Sure, pearls are big in jewelry this year, but the newest trend we see everywhere is definitely multi-colored “confetti” beads!. Bright and full of life, this trend is the perfect post-2020 look! Look for earrings, bracelets, necklaces, rings, and more at a variety of price points. I just bought THESE.
5. Family Recipe Cutting Board – I love this meaningful gift idea for Mother’s Day, a wedding, or a special birthday! Upload a high-resolution photo, scan or typed family recipe, and get this beautiful wooden cutting board back in return.
6. Isle of Paradise Tanning Drops – I’ve tried all the self-tanners, but these customizable tanning drops that you add to your own lotion are my faves! There’s no smell, and the color looks natural. You can customize the “tan” based on how many drops you add to your lotion. I would start with the “light” sun-kissed glow formula to play it safe. Don’t forget to wash your hands after applying!
7. CeraVe Hydrating Cream-to-Foam Cleanser – You pump this cleanser out as a cream, but when you put it to work removing your makeup, it transforms into a foam! It’s non-drying and formulated with hyaluronic acid and an amino acid complex to attract and retain moisture, along with 3 essential skin-barrier protecting ceramides. I use it daily! I linked it for you at Walmart, because it’s a lot cheaper there than anywhere else. (Free shipping at $35.)
8. UV Light Sanitizer Water Bottle – You may remember last year when I went more-than-a-little crazy for the $95 LARQ self-cleaning water bottle. I loved the idea that you could fill up your water bottle anywhere, and the UV light would neutralize up to 99.9 percent of harmful bacteria, germs, and mold. (It’s a travel must-have for me!) When I bought my LARQ, there was nothing like it on the market.
Whelp, that’s what I get for being an early-adopter! Now copycats abound, the price has dropped, and the technology has gotten even better! This durable stainless steel self-cleaning bottle uses the same UV tech to sterilize your water.
If you like the technology, the other good brand to investigate is THIS one. I’ve linked all three below. (They’re all very similar, but the prices are not!)
9. Democracy Ab Solution 7″ Short – I may have just found the perfect denim shorts! These awesome shorts from well-known denim brand “Democracy” are made with their trademarked “Ab” solution fit technology that flatters your shape and hugs your body in exactly the right way. Here are the features:
- A hidden elastic waistband for a no-gap fit. (All the praise hands for that!)🙌
- Slimming front mesh panels for support and firmness
- Strategically placed front pockets to minimize your shape.
- Strategically shaped back pockets to enhance your shape.
- A dart-seam in the back for a better fit.
- A sweetheart-shaped yoke in the back to boost your booty.
- Soft, sculpting stretch denim.
I ordered them in every denim rinse I could find! #love
10. Coola SPF 30 Organic Makeup Setting Spray – This clean beauty hydrating (thanks to hyaluronic acid) and weightless SPF 30 sunscreen mist sets your makeup, provides UV protection, and reduces shine. I spray this over my makeup throughout the day when I’m in the sun. If you’re heading out to the beach, this is a must-have! (It won’t settle into your wrinkles like the SPF mineral powder can.)
In the summer, I take my sun protection seriously, starting my routine with Supergoop’s Daily Dose Vitamin C + SPF 40 Sunscreen Serum, followed by my normal summer-weight foundation (no SPF) and then follow it up with this Coola SPF 30 Organic Makeup Setting Spray throughout the day. Stay tuned for more of my beach-babe must-haves in an upcoming post!
11. Hydrating Peel-0ff Nail Mask – If all that handwashing has taken a toll on your tips, you’ll love this! Squeeze a dab onto polished or bare nails, then peel it off as you would a face mask. Apply and massage it in, then go about your business for 15 minutes. Peel off and rinse, to reveal a nail makeover! #yesplease
12. Women of the Bible Speak by Shannon Bream – Subtitled The Wisdom of 16 Women and Their Lessons for Today, this book “outlines the lessons we can take from the valor of Esther, the hope of Hannah, the audacity of Rahab, and the faith of Mary…and offers us a deeper understanding of each, and wisdom and insights that can transform our own lives today.” 💗 This is what I’m reading right now.
13. The Perfect White Cardigan – A good white summer-weight cardi is hard to find! Amirite? This one from Talbots is a winner (and 30% off)! Made from 47% Rayon, 32% Cotton, 18% Nylon, and 3% Lycra Spandex, it’s machine washable (lay flat to dry), has three-quarter length sleeves, and hits right at the hip for a flattering line. I love it in white, but I also ordered it in a couple of other colors as well! Right now, take 30% off your entire purchase at Talbots.
I love sharing my favorite finds of the month with you! Do you feel SO in the KNOW? 😁 I’d love to know what you’re learning & loving in your empty nest right now! Drop me an email and let me know, okay?