1. Betsie Z.
    March 16, 2021 @ 9:31 am

Thanks for this great reminder, Suzy! My husband and I coach each other every week on how to deal appropriately with our 4 adult children. It can be a challenge!πŸ˜‚ Especially when we think our way is the better way!πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‰ However, the ultimate goal is to preserve and protect the relationship, so that means stepping back sometimes and simply praying and cheering them on! Being available by phone or in person is a great gift that they probably won’t fully appreciate for a few more years. I like to remember how I felt and thought back in my 20’s ( and cringe a little at a few memories!😬) and that helps me to better handle where my 20-somethings are coming from….except with modern tech added in!!
    You are an encouragement to me!

2. Suzy Mighell
    March 16, 2021 @ 10:57 am

Betsie,

Thank you for your kind comment! I have to tell you, Bob and I “coach” each other too! My style is a little more interventionistic! Bob’s is organic! Hopefully when we “coach” one another, we come out somewhere in the center! Hahaha!

You are so right that is helps to remember what life was like when we were 20-somethings. Tech makes it so much more challenging for them. (Post upcoming on that!)

Thanks for taking the time to share your ideas. So wise!

3. Betsie Z
    March 16, 2021 @ 11:16 am

I like your term, “interventionistic!” Sounds so much nicer than bossy!!! LOL!!! I’m claiming that one for my own!! πŸ™‚

• Suzy Mighell
      March 16, 2021 @ 11:19 am

Betsie,

Hahahaha! Steal away!

4. Holly
    March 20, 2021 @ 10:51 am

I love your ideas in this post, Suzy! Such a good reminder that our children need our love and acceptance much more than our advice (unless they ask for it!). I have tried to keep my opinions to myself since our daughter got married a few years ago. Being too overbearing will just push them away. I try to focus on enjoying her and our son-in-law, and our two little cutie-pie granddaughters!

5. Suzy Mighell
    March 20, 2021 @ 10:56 am

Holly,

Thank you for your sweet comment. I’m so happy to share my experience/mistakes! Hahaha! It’s hard to keep our opinions to ourselves – especially after years of not having to do that!

You sound like a wise and wonderful grandma! Enjoy those special times!

xoox

• Amy
      March 21, 2021 @ 2:33 pm

Suzy, I’m fairly new to your blog and I LOVE it! Thank you for this post. Not many people even talk about parenting adults and we need it! My 2 girls are young adults (19 & 22) and we recently had a difficult family disagreement that broke my heart terribly. I learned so much during that time of reflection, though! God really spoke to me & led me to that first book you shared -“Doing Life With Your Adult Children” by Jim Burns. I’m reading it now and learning how to be the parent they need at this point in their life. I wish the Bible touched on parenting more! πŸ˜‚ I don’t know how many times my husband & I have said that! (Jesus, take the wheel!!πŸ˜‚) Anyway, thank you dearly for this post– and I’m so thankful (and blessed) to have found your blog. ❀

6. Suzy Mighell
    March 21, 2021 @ 2:50 pm

Amy,

Thank you so much for your sweet comment! It made my day!

I wish more people talked about “parenting” adult children – maybe there wouldn’t be so much discord! I love that book by Jim Burns, and I’m so glad you like it too!

The verse that has meant the most to me in parenting my adults is James 1:19: “My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.” Also, a smile can go a long way, as well as making fun of yourself with your kids!

You sound like a great mama! Welcome to Empty Nest Blessed! I’m so very happy you’re here!

xoxo,

7. Kimberly Henning
    April 1, 2021 @ 4:28 pm

I’m pretty good at 4 out of the 6 . But thank you so much for the reminders of the other 2 . How true they are. Having had some difficult times this helps me to be a better mom to my 3 daughters 36-34-32.

• Suzy Mighell
      April 1, 2021 @ 6:12 pm

Kimberly,

I think 4 out of 6 is really good! This parenting adult kids deal takes some serious work! Keep up the good efforts, sweet girl, and know that we’re all in this together.

Thanks for your comment!