Happy January! Are you feeling hopeful about 2021? I am! With the promise of a vaccine and the hope of herd immunity on the horizon, I feel like we have a lot to look forward to this year. I can’t wait to get back to my in-person Bible Study and going to lunch with friends (not to mention getting a haircut without wearing a mask!).
Today, I’m excited to share my SO in the KNOW post for January! If you’re new around here (I’m so happy you’re here!), let me fill you in. Every month, I share what I’m learning and loving in my empty nest. It might be a show I’m streaming, a book I’m reading, or just some cool info that comes across my radar screen. I love sharing my discoveries and favorite things with you, and I’d love to hear about your favorites too! (You can always email me!)
What I’m Learning
Have you heard of The Senior Life? It launched in 2020 as a resource for 50-somethings, baby boomers, and super-agers – designed to provide valuable information on things like money, wellness, and retirement. It was started by Jeff Cory, who has devoted 25+ years to serving seniors as a financial planner and senior living advisor. I know Jeff, personally, from working with him on my parents’ estate, and I love his heart and passion for older adults.
The Senior Life is designed to be a go-to destination on the web for all things retirement and healthy aging. Whether you’re helping your aging parents or at the age where you’re considering your own plans for the future, I highly recommend it as a valuable resource!
Pantone Colors of the Year 2021
Pantone has announced their colors of the year for 2021. Instead of the usual one color, they felt this year was deserving of two! (Ya think? ????) Illuminating is a warm and cheerful yellow, while Ultimate Gray is solid and dependable. For over 20 years, Pantone’s Color of the Year has influenced product development and purchasing decisions in multiple industries, including fashion, home furnishings, and industrial design, as well as product packaging and graphic design.
The best news of all? Unlike past years, when the color of the year only looks good on about half of the population, this year, there’s one that looks good on warm undertoned complexions and looks good on cool undertoned complexions. Excited to incorporate the colors of the year into your wardrobe? Here are a few of our picks.
How to Burn the Perfect Candle Every Time
You probably didn’t think there was that much to it, but the experts say there are ways to get the most out of each candle:
- Trim the wick to ¼” each time before lighting. A longer wick can cause the flame to flicker too high, leading to soot and blackening of the glass. Consider investing in a good quality wick trimmer. (THIS ONE is the best-reviewed on Amazon, and it’s stainless steel, which holds up better than other metals.)
- To provide the most scent and prevent your candle from “tunneling” and only burning down the center, allow the entire top layer to become an edge-to-edge pool of liquid wax.
- To prolong the life of your candle, only burn it 3-4 hours each time and not more than once every 24 hours. Burning for more than four hours can cause the wick to form a mushroom or carbon deposit on the tip, which produces more soot and smoke.
Do you love candles as much as I do? I’ve rounded up a few of my favorite candles below, and I’d love to know yours! Please share your recs in the comments!
What I’m Loving
- Red Gingham Sneakers – I stumbled upon these cuties last week on Amazon and couldn’t hit “add to cart” fast enough! Wear them from Valentine’s Day all the way through Labor Day! I love that they slip on with no lacing, and they have nearly 11K amazing reviews.
2. Fingerprint Padlock – Use this nifty biometric padlock for the back gate, for your luggage, or whatever you need to secure. No more trying to remember the combination or searching to find the key. Your finger is the key! The rechargeable lithium battery can support a 1-year standby time and can be unlocked over 3000 times.
3. Be Kind Sweatshirt – Is there a better message for our time than the one on this sweatshirt? I love this, and it comes in three different color choices.
4. Date Night Table Topics – Bob and I have the Family Gatherings version of this, and it’s launched us into so many meaningful and revealing conversations. I’m getting him this Date Night version for Valentine’s Day this year. Table Topics boxes have been featured in O Magazine, Martha Stewart Living, Better Homes and Gardens, and Vanity Fair! To see them all, click HERE.
5. Dr. Teal’s Shea Butter & Almond Oil Soaking Solution + Foaming Bath Kit – I know, I know! The experts say that if you’re struggling with dry skin in the winter, you need to forego hot baths and showers. Well, this girl isn’t willing to do that! ???? I love my nightly soak in the tub, and, far from drying out my skin, this moisturizing kit leaves my skin soft and hydrated. Sometimes I soak, and sometimes I bubble! #gamechanger
6. Bala Bangles Weights – Want to bump up your workout intensity without trying too hard? These 1 lb. weights can be worn on wrists or ankles and will add a constant but comfortable resistance to your workouts. Use them for walking, barre, Pilates, yoga, running, or just wear them around the house! They were the hot sellers in the fitness market this Christmas! They’ve been out of stock ever since on Amazon, but they’ll be back in early February!
7. It Cosmetics CC Cream – People tell me I have great skin, but honestly, I think it’s just the color correcting foundation I use! It’s a multiple beauty award winner and beauty blogger fave. I’ve used it for years! Developed by plastic surgeons, it has mineral-based SPF 50+, and it’s full coverage. You can buy it at Ulta, but if it’s your first time, I would recommend going right to the IT Cosmetics website because they do an awesome job helping you pick your perfect shade. If it’s your first time there, you’ll get 20% off if you sign up for their emails and texts!
8. Heart Earrings – I stumbled upon these darling $12.99 huggie hoop earrings when I was looking for cute things for my Amazon-exclusive Valentine’s Inspiration Guide! They’re in stock and ship free with Prime. What a darling Galentines gift for a daughter or gal pal! (Or, gift yo’self!)
9. Personalized Heart Trinket Dish – Speaking of great gifts, this darling trinket dish is just $8 and monogrammed for free! Well Bowed is one of my favorite Etsy Shops (If you’ve been hanging out here for a while now, you know the other is Joy Creative Shop!), and their prices are great. If you live in Dallas, you can do FREE porch pickup with the promo code DALLASPPU. Check out the entire shop HERE.
10. Personalized Acrylic Tissue Box – Speaking of Etsy, it’s been a great source for me as I’ve been shopping for accessories for our newly remodeled bathroom and my new office! I snagged this beautiful acrylic tissue box for our bathroom — also from Well Bowed. (Post coming on our remodel soon!)
11. Clear Shoe Shine Sponge – This is just one of those good things to have on hand in your closet. I snagged one for Bob’s stocking back in December so he’d stop stealing mine! Use this clear shine sponge on any color leather shoes, from sneakers to pumps, to give them a little shine and keep them looking like new. ????????
12. Coffee Mug Warmer – I couldn’t resist this adorable coffee mug warmer for my new office. (I actually drink tea, and I’m slowwww about it!) It has 3-warming temperatures to choose from, and auto shuts off after 4 hours. (That’s about right for me! ????) It comes in other colors — and even a faux wood grain finish as well! Click HERE to see them all.
13. Lightweight V-Neck Cardigan – Made from 55% Cotton, 25% Modal, 20% Polyester, this classic cardigan is a year-round wardrobe staple! I have it in khaki, but I think this pink is so pretty! It’s an Amazon Essentials item (everyday staples), and it comes in 16 color options. Not sure about it? Try it before you buy with Amazon’s PRIME Wardrobe (Such a great program!).
So that’s what I’m learning and loving in my empty nest this month! I’d love to know what’s up for you! Leave me a comment and let me know if there’s something I need to check out, okay?
Two quick reminders before I let you go:
- The first-ever Tuckernuck Warehouse sale kicks off today! I love this brand that creates classic, curated collections of clothing, home décor, and gifts. You can shop over 1000 items at 50-85% off starting today! I love Tuckernuck’s colorful, classy collections, but honestly, their prices are usually more than I’m willing to pay — so I’m really looking forward to shopping this sale.
- All week long on Instagram, I’ll be sharing looks from Chico’s Early Spring Line! All full-priced items at Chico’s are 25% off right now with the code 33519, and many items are a lot less. Yesterday on Instagram, I shared THIS gorgeous and cozy multicolored tweed Ruana that is 70% off and will go with everything in your closet!
Let me know what you thought about this month’s SO in the KNOW in the comments, okay?