When you’re an empty nester, you don’t want to get “stuck.” You have to keep learning & growing! You gotta stay in the know! So every month, I share what I’m learning & loving in my empty nest. I’d love for you to share with me too! Here’s what I’m learning and loving in my empty nest this month.
What I’m Learning
Every weekend, in my What’s Up, Weekend? posts, I share a mini-version of SO in the KNOW, giving you some fun scoop and info that I hope you find helpful. These SO in the KNOW posts are the bigger and better version of those, so you’ve come to the right place today to get all the tea that’s fit to spill! Let’s start sipping, shall we? ☕
Digital Secret Santa, Anyone?
Want to arrange a Secret Santa for the office, family, or a group of girlfriends? Download the Elfster app (for iOS and Android) from the app store. (I recommend you check out the website HERE first.) You set a budget, and your participants sign up via email. Elfster randomly assigns each person a gift recipient. (Be sure to select the option to prevent spouses from getting each other!) People can anonymously ask their recipient questions, like, “What’s your favorite color?” How fun is that? 🎅
Holiday Shipping Deadlines
Need to know the shipping deadlines to get your gifts there in time for Christmas?
Mark Your Calendar
On Wednesday, December 16, I’ll be a guest on In the Burbs, an Atlanta TV talk show co-hosted by Amy Lyle and Gina Ryals. The show typically features comedic and expert guests tackling everything from movie stars to menopause. I’ll be sharing my Top Ten Favorite Gift Ideas from the over 700 items on the Empty Nest Blessed Holiday Gift Guide!
To tune in, you’ll want to go to the In the Burbs Facebook page and follow them. Then at 3 p.m. on Wednesday, December 16, the show will air live on their Facebook page. People ask me all the time what my very favorite gift ideas are! I’m spilling the details on that show!
- Free delivery from your store (same-day in most cases) with the identical in-store low prices on orders of $35+.
- Free two-day or next-day shipping, no order minimum, on items from Walmart.com.
- Member prices on fuel – Save 5¢ per gallon at Walmart, Sam’s Club, and Murphy fuel stations.
- Mobile Scan & Go – Check out contact-free with your phone while shopping in-store.
- 15-Day Free Trial (I think now is the perfect time of year for that!)
Want to Win Christmas?
Oh, this is good. Need a gift for the person who has everything? Want to legit WIN Christmas this year? I’ve got two incredible ideas for you!
1. It’s Christmas, M’Lord
Highland Titles, a company in Scotland, sells land plots ranging in size from 1 square foot to 1000 square feet in the Highlands of Scotland, beginning at $49.99. Thanks to Scottish Landowner law, your estate ownership legally allows your gift recipient to use the courtesy title of Laird, Lord or Lady!
Why do they do it? In a word: Conservation. By splitting the woodland into the ownership of hundreds of different people, it ensures that no developer can ever acquire it and use it for their own gain, to the detriment of flora and fauna. How fun is THIS? For more information, click HERE.
2. Share Stories. Create a Family Heirloom.
Storyworth is a company that helps you stay connected to your loved ones over any distance and discover things you never knew about them. They collect family stories, preserving them in books for generations to come so you can keep a memoir of the past to pass on to future generations. Here’s how it works:
- Storyworth sends your gift recipient weekly story prompts or questions you probably never thought to ask.
- Your recipient replies to the email with a story, which is shared with you each week.
- At the end of a year, their stories are bound into a beautiful keepsake book.
How precious is that? Click HERE to learn more.
What I’m Loving
1. Festive Hair Headband – If you’ve got the right kind of hair, this Christmas lights headband would be such a fun holiday addition to an otherwise simple outfit! Want an alternative for shorter hair? Try this cute Christmas lights clip.
2. Riki Cutie LED Lighted Pocket Mirror – Riki makes the best LED-lighted mirrors! This rose gold lightweight pocket-version has LED lights, three dimming options, USB rechargeable battery, and a scratch resistant, shatterproof mirror. It comes with a retractable ring and stand and measures 5.6”x2.8”x3/8”D. You wear it on your hand and it still leaves at least three fingers free to manipulate your makeup while you apply! This one is a pretty rose gold and comes in a cute Christmasy box, but if you just want it in plain white without the fancy box, you can get it HERE for $30 less!
I own the Riki Skinny Mirror in Rose Gold. It was a huge splurge, but I use it for mirror selfies. You’ll see more of it next year when I up the frequency of my beauty posts (at your request!). Free shipping/returns.
3. Dust Off Compressed Air – This is such a practical little stocking stuffer! Spray the compressed air to clean all of those hard-to-reach spots that have probably never been cleaned. (Er, computer keyboard, anyone? 😬)
4. Long Sleeve Crewneck Tee – I’m always looking for crewneck tees that I can wear underneath pullovers, cardigans, and v-neck sweaters. I used to pick up new ones at Target every single year. They were great, but after a year of wear and washing, they ended up looking tired and with tons of those little pill balls on them. I’ve been on a years-long quest to find one that will stand up to the wear, and won’t need to be replaced every year!
Frontline healthcare workers to the rescue! These long sleeve tees are the ones favored by nurses and other healthcare workers. Yep! They’re actually called “underscrubs!” They come in 35 colors and I’ve been so pleased with the quality and the way they feel. #winner
5. Final Seal Setting Spray – Headed somewhere special and absolutely don’t want to arrive with half of your makeup on your facemask 😷 instead of your face? I feel ya! My daughter told me about this setting spray. Every musical theater actress has it in her makeup case! When you’re dancing on stage and sweating up a storm, this keeps your makeup from running or coming off when you have a quick costume change. I bought some to try out, and lemme tell ya, it’s good! #problemsolver
6. “Clean” Brightening & Neutralizing Eye Balm – This neutralizing & color correcting under-eye balm treats the look of dark circles over time. It’s from Tula — my favorite brand of “clean” skincare and is specially sized to fit into the small corners of the inner eye. It’s made with grapefruit & algae to brighten the look of tired eyes, and lingonberry to protect from the damaging effects of pollution & blue light.
It’s the best quick fix I’ve seen for dark circles! The golden sheen counteracts bluish tones on contact and the hyaluronic acid softens the look of fine lines. Use code 15SUZY for a 15% discount on your entire Tula purchase!
7. Elf Corn Puffs with Marshmallows Cereal – Flavored with maple syrup – which Buddy the Elf poured on spaghetti in the 2003 comedy – this cereal is available for a limited time this holiday season. How fun would this be for Christmas morning?
8. Spanx High Waisted Velvet Leggings – I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: Velvet leggings are a holiday season staple that every woman needs in her wardrobe! You can dress them up or down, and pull them out year after year. These come in four beautiful shades! I absolutely think Spanx makes the most slimming and best leggings, but if they’re more than you want to spend, you can try THESE.
9. Bras for Small-Busted Women – If you’re tiny on top 🙋♀️, you need to know about Pepper. They make bras that are specially designed to fit AA, A, and B cups. These bras all but eliminate the gaps and over-padding that those of us who are smaller know all too well. I love this brand! #gamechanger
10. Insect Repellant Wrap – Yep! You read that right! This 6-ft. long cotton & Tencel wrap repels mosquitoes, ticks, ants, flies, chiggers, and midges (no-see-ums) with only a small amount of active ingredient. The odorless EPA-approved insect shield is bound to the fabric and is safe for the entire family. This amazing brand makes lots of insect-repellant clothing. Check them all out HERE. #greatidea
11. Caviar Eye Sticks Mini-Quartet – This cream eyeshadow is pretty much all I use! The no-tug application is virtually effortless, and the color is buildable. It’s also crease- and transfer-resistant. If you want to try it, this is an affordable and easy way to do it! #theeyeshaveit
12. V-Shaped Slimming Double Lifting Mask – Tighten that double chin and lift and firm the lower part of your face with this contouring and sculpting hyaluronic acid and aloe vera mask. (The packaging looks different, but the product is virtually the same!) What a great idea!
Now you’re all caught up! Do you feel SO in the KNOW? I hope so! I love doing these posts for you and sharing my finds! Leave me a comment and let me know what you think, okay?
Got something I need to include in a future SO in the KNOW? I’d love to hear about it! Please email me and share!
P. S. You might want to pin this image on Pinterest for future reference. (And be sure to follow Empty Nest Blessed on Pinterest for all the good scoop to keep you SO in the KNOW!)