Want to know the hot spring & summer accessories to up your style game? You’ve come to the right place! Sometimes the perfect accessory is exactly what you need to take your outfit from a C+ to an A+. The perfect handbag, scarf, or earring can absolutely define your outfit, and help you make the most of what’s already in your closet.🙌
If you want to know what to look for when it comes to accessories this year, be sure you’ve checked out my 2020 Spring & Summer Style Guide and Spring & Summer Shoe Guide so you have a general idea of what’s trending on the style front for 2020. (Florals! Bows! Crochet! ETC!)
The collage at the top of this post is clickable for more information. As always, click any image or PINK text link throughout the post for details.
2020 Spring & Summer Accessory Trends: THE LOOK of the Season
Whether it’s rattan, raffia, wicker, bamboo, or straw, you’ll see natural fibers absolutely everywhere this season. It’s your one absolute must-have this year—in some way shape or form. Look for earrings, necklaces, handbags, belts, hats, and even shoes.
2020 Spring & Summer Accessory Trends: Handbags
With stores full of crossbody and other wearable bags, the practical bag that lets you go hands-free is still a winner. 🥇 (But primarily for more casual occasions.)
Handbags: What’s Still in Style
- Circle Bags – The crossbody circle bag you snagged sometime in the past two years is still on point! If you don’t have one in rattan, though, that might be an update you want to make.
- Belt Bags – I’m not saying how I know this, but if you refer to one of these as a “fanny pack” in front of your daughter, she might roll her eyes.🙄 😂 This trend is still going strong, but even if you’re wearing a Gucci belt bag, don’t wear it for a dressy event! If you like this trend and you want to maximize versatility, look for a belt bag with a removable belt and a small hand-held strap as well. (Click HERE for an example.)
Handbags: What to Buy Now
There are three on-point trends to watch when it comes to spring & summer handbags. Pick your favorite and go with it!
- The “Taco” Clutch – Anything fan-shaped is big this year, and this fun clutch shape is another manifestation of this trend! 🌮 This is the bag I bought.
- The Top Handle Bag – I love this lady-like trend, and it’s perfect if you want to tie a scarf on your bag. Many top handle bags come with removable straps so they can also be worn as a crossbody.
2020 Spring & Summer Accessory Trends: Belts
Belts: What’s Still in Style
As I told you in my Spring & Summer Style Guide, snakeskin and animal prints used to be considered primarily fall and winter looks, but this year we’re seeing them all four seasons. If you’re a fan, you might want to look for a light-colored snakeskin belt that won’t feel too heavy and dark in the heat of summer.
- Snakeskin Print – I love a good snakeskin print, and a belt is a good place for it.
- Animal Print – No matter what season it is, black is always chic! Add an animal print belt to a black dress, shorts, or wide-leg crops for an up-to-date look.
Belts: What to Buy Now
- Floral Belt – Floral belts are so pretty, and they add a whimsical touch of femininity to an otherwise simple look. (Look for floral Apple Watch straps too!)
- Rattan Belt – Look for straw and rattan belts and even bamboo belt buckles! If you don’t buy anything else this season, buy a natural fiber belt!
- Colored – Whether multi-colored, classic blue (the 2020 Pantone Color of the Year), or seafoam green, you’ll find lots of options to add a pop of color.
- Chain Link – You’ll also see this trend in jewelry this year (big time!).
2020 Spring & Summer Accessory Trends: Scarves
Scarves come in all shapes and sizes this season! I wouldn’t buy any more infinity scarves or long neck scarves. Instead, stick with the more versatile shapes—long and skinny, square (bandana-shaped), or diamond-shaped. Watch for an upcoming IGTV video where I’ll run down all the ways to wear scarves this year!
2020 Spring & Summer Accessory Trends: Jewelry
Jewelry: What’s Still in Style
- Layered Necklaces – The layered necklace trend is still going strong! To see how to update it for 2020, keep reading!
- Shells – If you’re a beach lover like I am, you’re so glad this natural and pretty trend is still going strong. 🐚
- Safety Pins – It’s kinda weird, but the everyday-items-as-jewelry trend continues 🧷! The safety pin earrings or necklace you bought last year are still very much in style. This year, we’re adding an office supply to the jewelry rotation! 😂 More to come! 👇🏻
- Bar Necklaces – A horizontal bar necklace (probably sporting your initial) is still a great choice, especially layered with other necklaces. This year we’re seeing more bar necklaces going vertical, lariat-style.
- Initial Pendants – Whether set simply in a circle disc, encrusted with Swarovski crystals or real diamonds, people love wearing their initials around their necks!
- Resin (AKA Acrylic) Earrings – This colorful, lightweight, and inexpensive earring trend isn’t going anywhere! Look for fun bundle packs on Amazon (HERE) that will give you a bunch of colorful options for a great price! Want to embrace one of spring & summer’s newest trends? Snag a pair of resin palm leaf earrings.
Jewelry: What to Buy Now
- Rattan Anything – As I’ve already mentioned, natural fibers like rattan OR straw OR raffia OR bamboo are the look of the moment. They’re inexpensive, and you can find earrings, bracelets, and necklaces too.
- Fan-Shaped – We talked about this trendy shape when we discussed “taco” clutches. Anything fan-shaped is on-point this year. The “fan” may be made of rattan, tassels, fabric, or acrylic resin. I even found some fan-shaped clip-on earrings! 😁
- Chain Link Anything – If you’ve got an old Tiffany heart necklace or bracelet hanging around, it’s time to pull them out and polish them up! Look for chain link earrings, bracelets, and necklaces at all price points this season. There are two variations on the theme: chunky chain link (heavier) and “paper clip” chain link (lighter). Pick your favorite and add a pair for a quick accessory update!
Chunky Chain Link
Paper Clip Chain Link
- Floral Jewelry – Its spring and flowers are making their annual appearance in fashion and accessories! 🌸🌺🌻🌼 This year, look for intricate and detailed flower jewelry. #sofeminine
- Leather – Look for inexpensive tear-drop-shaped leather earrings this spring & summer. I’m not a big fan, but there are well-priced bundle packs on Amazon if you are!😁
- Colored & Multi-Colored – I told you in my 2020 Spring & Summer Style Guide that you’d be seeing a lot of multi-colored pieces this spring. You’ll see all of the colors of the rainbow—but out of rainbow order. Look for beautiful, multi-hued earrings to provide a stunning focal point for an otherwise simple outfit. Also, keep an eye out for brightly-colored jewelry, period!
Whew! Thanks for hanging in there with me! I hope you learned a lot! I’ve put together a boutique below with all of the looks that I mentioned in today’s post (and more). Hover over each item for pricing info and click through for more information. Keep in mind that the pricing info may not be accurate because there are so many sales going on right now, so if you’re interested click through and take a closer look! Also, know that many of the metal items are available in both silver and gold, and maybe rose gold or gunmetal too, so click through it you see something you like.
Thank you for shopping with my links! When you do, it allows me to keep bringing you good content and doing this job I love so much! 😘 xoxo
What’s your favorite spring & summer accessory look? Leave me a comment and let me know!
P.P.S. Feel free to Pin this post to your Pinterest page for future reference and share it using the social media icons below.