It’s chilly outside, but if you’re like me, your heart is longing for the warmer weather that is to come! I’ve been working hard to put together this post, and lemme tell ya’, as I’ve shopped around for looks to share with you, it has me itching for spring like you wouldn’t believe! I’m so excited to share the incoming 2020 spring & summer style trends with you today! I’m going to tell you what trends are still in style, what to shop for, and even what you can skip this year. Today we’re focusing on clothing, with accessories and shoes to come next week. As always, click any of the pink links in the text, or any of the images for more information. I’m so grateful when you shop with my links because when you do, it allows me to continue doing this job that I love. (And it doesn’t cost you any extra!) Thank you for that!
I’ve done my best to give you a wide variety of examples of each trend, at all different price points. I also worked to include a few wear-now items for those of you who live in cooler climates where you may not experience warmer temperatures until June😬. Let’s get going!
2020 Spring & Summer Style Trends: What’s Still in Style
These classic spring styles and embellishments seem to come back every year!
- Polka Dots – You can’t go wrong with the classic motif!
- Gingham – Also known as the “picnic print,” gingham always looks perky and fresh.
- Pom Poms – How much fun are these?
- Florals – Is there any other fabric that screams spring like a good floral?🌷🌸🌺
- Tassels – These have been around for a while, and they’re not going anywhere!
- High-Waist – Pretty much any pants or jeans you buy now should be high-waisted. 😃
- Animal Print – You’ll see plenty of animal prints this spring, but I’m honestly not sure how much we’ll be seeing in the heat of the summer! That said, look for colored animal print tops, cardigans, skirts, and more!
2020 Spring & Summer Style Trends: Hot Colors
Of course, wear the colors you feel beautiful wearing—or the ones that are the best for your complexion—but here are the shades I think you’ll see most often this fall.
- Classic Blue– It’s the 2020 Pantone Color of the Year, and it’s everywhere! I wrote a whole post about how to wear it, which you can read HERE.
- Seafoam Green – This color is so peaceful! I fell in love with the crisscross fringe cardigan I’m wearing in this post! (It was gifted to me by Marley Lilly.)
- Neon Pink – This one surprised me! It’s happy and fun.
2020 Spring & Summer Style Trends: Hot Prints & Embellishments
- Multi-Colored Anything (but especially stripes) – Look for all the colors of the rainbow, but not in rainbow order.
- Crochet – If you love to knit, you might want to think about taking up crochet! (And setting up an Etsy shop. 🤑 Just sayin’!)
- Ric Rac – When I was little, my mom used to sew ric rac on the bottom of my dresses to hide the line when she let my hems out! 💗 Well, the happy little zig-zag embellishment is back in a big way! Look for in on clothes, shoes, hats, and handbags.
2020 Spring & Summer Style Trends: What to Shop For
Know that many of the examples I’ve provided below are available in multiple color selections, so if you see a style you like, click through to check out the options. 😊
Criss Cross Applesauce
Since we’re talking about the warmer temps of spring & summer, let’s discuss the fact that many places, um, over-achieve when it comes to the A/C! I don’t know about you, but I take a cardigan or wrap with me everywhere in the spring & summer! There are lots of great choices this year. One of the newest looks is the crossover cardigan. You can wear it open or closed for maximum versatility. I love the fringe embellishment on this cardi! Spanx even came out with a crossover jacket that has faux leather sleeves!
Don’t Dust in These Dusters
The classic lace trend seems to go in and out of favor! I’m so glad it’s back in style because I think it’s so elegant. If you’re only going to add one thing to your wardrobe right now, make it a lace tee. (That’s what I did! Click HERE to see the one I bought.) Wear it with everything from jeans to dressy slacks or wide leg crop pants. Also, look for lace sleeves (or other types of statement sleeves).
Don’t Get Ruffled! Unless It’s at the Neck OR the Hemline
Pleats, Pretty Please
You might see the pleat trend in sleeves (see photo above), but you’ll mostly see it on skirts, where the naturally vertical lines make it such a flattering style for women over fifty! This year, you’ll often see pleats combined with multi-colored stripes.
According to fashion psychologist Dawnn-Karen (🤣), “people who love stripes are often good at multitasking, have a lot going on in their lives, and wear many hats.” Um, OR, we just really, really love stripes!
Tie It Up
Wide Leg Ahead!
If you haven’t bought a pair of high-waisted, wide-leg pants, it’s time. This trend is here to stay for a while! The good news is that high-waisted, wide-leg pants make your waist look smaller! 🙌 You can find them in denim, twill, or even faux leather! Wear them with a fitted top for balance, or consider a fitted tank or camisole with a waist-length fitted jacket or cardigan layered on top for interest. Got a dressy event coming up? Consider palazzo pants instead of a skirt. Not ready for the wide-leg yet? Snag a pair of straight leg denim crops that will go with everything!
2020 Spring & Summer Style Trends: What to Skip
Of course, I hope it goes without saying: wear whatever you feel comfortable wearing, my friends! 🙌 That said, I do have some common-sense suggestions.
- I think midlife women look kind of silly in overalls unless they’re gardening 🌿🌱🌼or otherwise tending to animals on the farm 🐑🐄🐖. I’d leave this trend to the younguns.
- I would skip the sheer shirt trend. Just think of what your kids would say! 😲
- I’m not a fan of the funnel neck on tees or sweaters. There are more flattering alternatives when it comes to necklines!
- Unless you’re very slim, consider skipping paper bag waist pants. I only included one pair in the section about tie-waist pants, because I don’t think they’re very wearable for most midlife women.
- If your feet are wide, watch out for pointy-toe shoes. It doesn’t mean you can’t do it, because designers know that our feet aren’t shaped like arrows ⇒ , and they accommodate for that, but you might consider ordering from a place like Nordstrom with free shipping/returns and a wide variety of styles. My feet are wide, and I’ve had great luck with Sam Edelman’s shoes (also free shipping/returns) because several styles are available in wide widths. Click HERE to check out the offerings. Of course, the selection of pointy-toe flats at Amazon is enormous, too (free shipping & returns with Prime). Check it out HERE.
- If you’re short, beware of the wide-leg crop pant. It will break up the visual line of your leg, potentially making you look shorter. Instead, opt for a wide-leg full-length pant.
What styles are you going to shop for this spring? I’d love to know what you’re most excited to wear! Leave me a comment, and let me know.
Watch out for the 2020 Spring & Summer Shoe & Accessory Trends posts next week!
P.S. Have you signed up for my email list yet? My subscribers get early access to my posts because they’re the first ones to know about them! I send emails 2-3 times a week with info on my latest post, links to past posts I think you’ll like, and info on my favorite current looks or products. You can sign up HERE.
SHOP MY 2020 SPRING & SUMMER TRENDS BOUTIQUE
(Click on any image for more information or to shop.)
P.P.S. You might want to pin this post to your Pinterest page for future reference! Also, if you’d like to share this post on your social media accounts, you can use the icons below. (And thank you for that!) xoxo