I can hardly believe it’s the end of April, y’all! It snuck up on me! Don’t you feel like we were just holding our collective breath waiting for the weather to change? Your girl, Suzy, for one, is so happy it’s here! I have a ton to share with you this month, so let’s get you SO in the KNOW, shall we?
As always, click any of the images (including the collages) or the pink text links for more information!
What I’m Learning
The Four Essential Shapewear Silhouettes You Need
The shapewear “experts” at Spanx recently released the four essential shapewear pieces that they believe every woman should have in her arsenal. (Arsenal! For the war on lumps and bumps, right? Hahaha!) Listen, I’m a big fan of shapewear, no matter what size you are. In fact, I wanted to do an entire post on this…but I did not want to pose in shapewear for you, so it’s not happening, sisters! Hahaha! Still, it’s good info to have, right? Here are the pieces they say we all need:
- Mid-Thigh Short (I have this one and wear it under skirts, dresses, and especially slacks!)
- Open-Bust Bodysuit (You can wear your own bra with these and thus pair them with any neckline.)
- Footless Capri (This works well with light colored pants where the hemline of a shapewear short might show.)
- High-Waisted Brief (Works with shorter dresses and helps control that lower tummy area. I own this one, and it helps with my under-belly-button pooch!)
The Discounts You Deserve!
Soooo, apparently, you’re “officially” a senior citizen when you’re either 55 or 60, er, depending on who you ask. Have you ever heard of The Senior List? Every year, they compile (and verify) a comprehensive list of senior discounts. #yay
My Latest Twitter Obsession
Want Monogrammed Stuff for Cheap?
Y’all know that Marley Lilly is one of my favorite sites for cute monogrammed tops, shoes, and gifts, right? (This lightweight rain jacket was a lifesaver on our Alaskan cruise last summer!) If you sign up on their bloopers page and give them your initials, they’ll email you when they make a mistake, and they’re trying to get rid of something (for pennies on the dollar) with your initials!
Never shower in a thunderstorm?
Lots of you probably thought this was an old wives tale, but it turns out it’s true! Lightning can travel through plumbing, anything electrical (power down that computer!), and even concrete floors and walls. This is the time of year for unstable weather, so check out this cdc.gov site for tips on keeping your family safe during thunderstorms. #sendittoyourkids #becauseyoureagoodmom 😍
Have You Heard of “Baby Shark?” (doo doo do doo do doo) 🎵
I guarantee your kids have! (Especially if they have kids of their own!) It’s so catchy that it spawned the #BabySharkChallenge on Twitter and Texas Rangers baseball player Elvis Andrus even uses it for his walk-up song before he bats!
What is it? It’s a children’s song from the Korean entertainment brand, “Pinkfong.” They combined a simple children’s song with a K-Pop beat, some basic animation and lots of bright colors, and it went viral.
You can check it out below, but I warn you: You will be singing it all day long and you will hate me. 😬
What I’m Loving
1. Reversible Sleeveless Top – Y’all know I’ve been gearing up for a busy summer of travel by stocking up on some awesome and versatile clothes, shoes, and bags. (Everything will end up on my Instagram this summer, so be sure you’re following me there and on the LiketoKnow.it app too!) Well, this awesome reversible top from Lilly Pulitzer might be one of my very best finds! Not only is it reversible, but it’s also machine-washable, bra-friendly, has two layers (read that: not sheer!), and it features a flattering neckline. I’m always spilling something when I eat, so the fact that it’s reversible makes it the ideal for this messy mama! I bought it in white because that particular design is white on both sides, but most of the styles feature a fun Lilly print on one side and a solid on the other so that you can customize your look. (Free shipping and returns too, so no risk! Don’t you love that?) BTW, Lilly Pulitzer is offering adorable gifts with purchase this weekend (click here to see them!), making it an even better time to check out these tops!
2. Allbirds Tree Runners – Nolan Ryan, one of the greatest baseball pitchers of all time, once said, “It ain’t braggin’ if you can do it.” (Be sure to say that out loud with a Texas twang!) Enter Allbirds, who boldly declare that they make The World’s Most Comfortable Shoe. There’s been a lot of hype about this brand, so, of course, Suzy had to try it out on your behalf! #research #yourewelcome Your girl is now the proud owner of not just one, but three pairs of The World’s Most Comfortable Shoes! 🤭 Y’all, they’re lightweight, breathable, soft, and…wait for it…they’re machine washable!!! I am not even kidding you. Also, imagine you’re walking around on two little clouds, yep, that is what these feel like. You heard it here first, my sisters.
3. City Beauty Multi-Action Sculpting Cream – You might remember that City Beauty makes my favorite plumping lip glosses and matte lipsticks (more in this post). Well, I’ve been testing out their Multi-Action Sculpting Cream for a few months now, and I wanted to let you know how much I love this product! It’s designed to target the underlying causes of thin, sagging skin by promoting elastin and collagen production. I see a visible tightening of my skin within 5 minutes of application! You’re supposed to use it with your favorite moisturizer (it doesn’t replace your moisturizer) because the tightening effect helps seal in all the products you use beforehand. I’ve been waiting for the right time to tell you about it, and since City Beauty is having a sitewide 30% off sale with the promo code EMPTYNESTBLESSED right now (ends Sunday, April 28), I decided it was the perfect time! To read more about this product, head here and scroll down toward the bottom of the page.
4. SUGARFIX by BaubleBar Druzy Earring Set – In one of the most awesome collaborations of all time (okay, I might be exaggerating just a little bit!), Baublebar launched an earring line at Target in 2017 called SUGARFIX. I know some of you feel like you’re past the whole statement earring trend (I read my emails and DMs!), so if you’re more into studs, and if you like sparkles as much as I do, you’ll want to check out this set of three drusy stud earrings for under $15.
5. Custom Handwriting Bracelet – Every once in a while, an ideal gift comes along. And this definitely qualifies! (It even made the Empty Nest Blessed Mother’s Day Gift Guide!) You send in the handwritten message of a loved one, and, for under $30, you get a custom-made bracelet in either rose gold, 18K gold, or sterling silver. There are lots of other precious personalized gift ideas (for an affordable price point) at this Etsy shop.
6. Burt’s Bees Cleansing Oil – Once menopause hit, my skin turned from oily to dry, seemingly overnight! Did that happen to you? I’ve been using this 100% natural cleansing oil to remove my makeup at night, and it leaves my face moisturized and soft. It’s made with coconut and argan oils, and somehow it gets all my makeup off without leaving an oily residue. #love
7. Accessory Hooks – Okay, this is kinda silly, but I’m that person 🙄 who lays out my clothes, and shoes, and accessories the night before. These little accessory hooks let me hang my pants and top together, and they provide a spot to hang a necklace if I’m wearing one with my outfit. Now there’s no rushing around the next morning because everything’s right in one convenient place. (I shared some of these hooks with Bob and now he does it too! Hahaha!)
8. Joanna Gaines’ Favorite Lipstick – Am I the only one who is super envious of Joanna Gaines’ natural-looking makeup? It turns out her fave lipstick (MAC Fresh Brew) is under $20. Not only that, but it has over 5K positive reviews on the Nordstrom website! #betterthanshiplap
9. Pearl Embellished Sandals – They’re a splurge for sure, but these beauties from Lilly Pulitzer are really special. If you’re not a heels person anymore (See? I really do read my emails and DMs!), and you’re looking for a dressy, comfortable sandal to take on vacation or to wear to summer weddings, showers, or church, this sandal is perfect. I was a little worried that the way the pearls were attached to the sandal would be rough or unfinished. A big NOPE on that one! The quality is incredible, and these are definitely the prettiest sandals I’ve ever owned. They fit TTS (true to size), and shipping and returns are free. #iamafreeshippingnsnob 😊
10. HydroMask – I keep thinking I’ll post one of those selfies with this oh-so hydrating mask on my face, but I look so ridiculous with it on, it’s going to take a lot of courage or like, a donation to my favorite charity or something, for me actually to do it! 🤣 I use this once or twice a week (It makes Bob laugh hysterically, so I try to do it when he’s busy watching a sports game!) and I see an immediate difference that lasts for a day or two. It plumps up my skin, decreases the size of my pores. City Beauty also makes it, so if you want to try it, you might want to take advantage of their sitewide 30% off sale with the promo code EMPTYNESTBLESSED at checkout. To read more about it, head here and scroll down toward the bottom of the page.
11. Velvet Hangers – If you’re not using these space-saving hangers in your closet, you’re missing out! Bob and I switched our plastic hangers out with these last year, and we were ah-mazed at how much more room we had in the closet once we finished! You can buy the original Joy Magango Huggable Hangers, or opt for these Amazon Basics dupes for a lot less! They have great reviews (from almost 6K people) and come in three color options.
12. VACAY Tee – Next week I’m shooting photos in this darling tee for a fun collaboration with Easy Spirit that will go live on my Instagram on Sunday, May 5! I’m pairing it with some cute blush shorts and a pair of Easy Spirit walkers as a part of their #movefor campaign. The campaign celebrates the things that drive, compel and inspire women on a daily basis. In the caption, I’ll be sharing what I #movefor. #shamelesslytrolllingforlikes
Whew, I hope you feel SO in the KNOW after reading this long post! (Thanks for sticking with me!) If you hang out here regularly, you know that on Fridays I typically share the best of the best weekend sales with you. This post has already been so long; I don’t want to take up more space to do that! Instead, look for an exclusive email just for subscribers in your inbox bright and early tomorrow morning! (And if you’re not a subscriber, you might want to sign up pronto, so you don’t miss out on the deals!)
What’s up for you this weekend? We’re headed up to Oklahoma on Saturday to see our daughter perform in her last college show! (If you have a graduate like we do this year, you might want to check out the Empty Nest Blessed Graduation Gift Guide for some fun and unique gift ideas!) Then we’ll spend Sunday afternoon doing a big yard and patio clean up and planting project. We’re getting ready for the Bridal Shower my daughter, her BFF, and I are throwing next weekend for their other BFF. Keep an eye on my Insta and Facebook Stories this weekend for BTS (behind the scenes) snaps of our adventures!
Wishing you a wonderful weekend, no matter what you’re up to!
SHOP THE POST
Be sure to Pin this post on Pinterest for future reference! (And please follow Empty Nest Blessed while you’re there!)