1. Cathy
    December 19, 2018 @ 5:30 am

This is such a good post, Suzy! And wait until grandchildren arrive and you have to keep your parenting “suggestions” to yourself! LOL! NYJD Marilyn’s are my go to. You look great. Sharing this with my ladies on Facebook. Merry Christmas

December 19, 2018 @ 7:07 am

Cathy,
      Thank you so much! I’m so glad you enjoyed it! Aren’t those jeans amazing?! They feel so good! Thanks so much for your sweet comment! xoxo Suzy

2. Suzanne
    December 19, 2018 @ 8:51 am

Thank you for all your great content, I look forward to your blog in my inbox. I was just saying to another empty nester yesterday that I try and never give my grown kids advice or my opinion unless they ask. I think this sends the message that I trust them and believe in their abilities. 🙂 I actually do pretty good at this because I see my children doing great.

Not related to this post, but with the new year looming….. I was wondering if you would consider sharing how you stay organized, your planning system, etc. I always like to hear about this type of thing and usually find something to incorporate into my own life.

December 19, 2018 @ 9:58 am

Suzanne,
      Thank you so much for your sweet comment! I think all of us just need a giant piece of duct tape over our mouths when the kids are home, amirite?!!! I always pray for lots of self-control! ???? Thanks for the post suggestion! I will definitely do that. Hugs to you and thank you so much for reading Empty Nest Blessed. Merry Christmas! xoxo Suzy

3. Lori
    December 20, 2018 @ 7:52 am

Thank you for your very thoughtful posts about parenting adult children. Your posts serve as a great resource for me to pass along to friends still struggling with wanting to give advice and continue to control their adult children.

December 20, 2018 @ 8:12 am

Lori,
      Well that is just the sweetest! You made my day. Thank you so much for taking the time to pass that encouraging word along to me! Merry Christmas! xoxo Suzy

4. Andrea Spencer
    December 20, 2018 @ 8:30 am

Good morning, Suzy, Those daily trips to the store are probably a good thing—they give you some space and time to recharge if things ever get a bit tense dealing with those millennials!???? My twins are college juniors still in college and on my “payroll”—so I still feel entitled to step in with “advice” as needed! My name is on their car titles and I pay their bills. I try to plan outings like movie nights and visits to an escape room that the four of us will all love. Having a sense of humor and not planning too much helps. We have a large enough house that our college kids can have some alone time if they like. We also play board games and watch movies and bowl games together. I always plan a special family dinner out on December 30 every year—this year is the Melting Pot.

Happy Holidays!
    Andrea Spencer

December 20, 2018 @ 10:01 am

Andrea,
      What a great plan! You are such a good mom. You’re right! As long as they’re on your payroll, you should give opinions when necessary. You’re still parenting! It sounds like you’re doing a great job laying the foundation for a wonderful relationship with them as adults. Thank you so much for reading and for sharing your wisdom! Merry Christmas! xoxo Suzy

5. Laura Rieger
    December 30, 2018 @ 7:09 pm

Suzy, My family is a blended family. Two of our young adult children are “his” and two are “mine.” They are all in their mid twenties and out of the home. We actually work pretty well together as a family during most of the year but the holidays are full of emotional landmines. Perhaps you could offer some suggestions? Also would love if you would address some of the special challenges of blended families in a blog post. Thanks.

December 31, 2018 @ 3:13 pm

Laura,
      Wow! I didn’t know you had a blended family. That is a tricky one! I would love to do that! (As much as I can without having a blended family myself.) Let me think and pray on that and see if I can come up with some good resources and ideas. Thank you so much for the suggestion. Happy New Year, sweet friend! xoxo Suzy