I hope you’ve had a great September. We had a hint of fall a few weeks ago in Dallas with highs in the upper 70s and everybody got all excited and started pulling out their booties and sweaters. Then, reality hit, along with humidity, and we were back in the triple-digit heat index zone! Sigh…A girl can hope and dream. I’ve discovered some cool new things this month, and I can’t wait to share them with you! Let’s jump right in, okay? Click any of the pink links in the text OR the images anywhere in this post OR in the graphic at the top for more information. You’re gonna be SO in the KNOW!
What I’m Learning
Sleep App – My college daughter and her friends are way into the Sleep Cycle app. It tracks your sleep cycles and when you set a 30-minute wake-up window, it wakes you up during the lightest sleep cycle so you, as she put it, “don’t feel completely dead and confused when you wake up.” No need to put your phone in your bed, it tracks your sleep using sound analysis. (I wonder what it thinks of Bob’s snoring???)
Hot Wedding Trends – If you’re an empty nester, planning a wedding is somewhere in your past, present, or future. (Let’s hear it for the MOBs and MOGs!) The latest trends in weddings? Wait for it…barn weddings and no-makeup ceremonies. Yep, I am not even kidding you. Last year, 15% of weddings were held at a barn, farm or ranch, up from 2% in 2009, according to a survey by The Knot. Rustic chic is a thanggggg, y’all. Also, I would like to take this opportunity to publically announce to my unmarried children that if a no-makeup ceremony is in your future, your mother will be completely supportive but also completely noncompliant.
Forget “Senior” – According to the Wall Street Journal, in a revolt of massive proportions, many aging baby boomers are rejecting the term “seniors” to describe themselves. While many have floated other suggestions, like “perennial,” “sage,” “mature,” “seasoned,” “elder,” “vintage,” “older adult,” “mature,” and even “coot, ” (!!!) reportedly there is agreement that the best term to describe people 60 and older is “lucky.” 🙂
Bob is obsessed (or would that be “Bobsessed?”) – Our middle son got Bob hooked on the @natureisscary Twitter feed! If you enjoy footage of scary predators attacking their prey, it’s right up your alley. All I can say is that I’m glad humans are at the top of the food chain. (And will someone please ask Bob to stop showing these videos to me before bed?)
What I’m Loving
1. Tweezerman Tweezers – If you’re not using these tweezers, it might be time to up your beauty game! An Allure magazine “Best of Beauty” award winner every year since 2001, these slanted tweezers will grab every hair, every single time. My favorite thing is when Bob gets a splinter and asks to borrow them! They come in lots of different colors and are under $15.
2. Burt’s Bees Overnight Intensive Lip Treatment – My pretty mother-in-law swears by this overnight lip treatment! I tried it at her recommendation and I love it too. It’s 100% natural, doesn’t contain parabens, phthalates, petrolatum, and it’s full of ceramides (the oils found naturally in your skin that are necessary for maintaining your skin’s barrier). Warning: It’s tough to find in stores, so consider ordering online.
4. Blooming Birthday Candle – Once your kids are older, you don’t really want to put twenty-six candles on the birthday cake and set off the smoke alarm. (Trust me on this one.) So what’s a good hostess to do? I nearly flipped when I saw this adorable candle and I couldn’t snatch it up fast enough! It comes closed up like a flower bud and you light the middle candle. The middle candle then lights the outer candles as the flower opens, all the while playing Happy Birthday! Here’s a video I found on You Tube that shows exactly how it works. You’ll be the hostess with the mostest for sure!
5. Pyrex Lid Replacement Set – I’m pretty sure I don’t have to tell you all about the importance of storing leftovers in glass containers instead of plastic. (That nasty, BPA!) Somehow, over the years, the lids to my precious Pyrex glass storage containers have disappeared. (Bob: “I blame the kids!”) Did you know that there are lots of replacement lids on Amazon? Chalk it up to a cheap empty nest upgrade and roll on down the road. Yes, siree.
6. Banana Bamboo Tree – Along the same lines, I noticed how tired our banana holder was looking. (Bob: “I blame the kids!”) I mean, after all, it sits out on the counter for all the world to see and we can’t have it looking all tacky like. I bought this one for around $13 on Amazon. #onceaweekorderer
7. Velvet Mini-Pumpkins – As an empty nester, I’m not really looking to add to my supply of seasonal decor. Rather, I find myself tossing, old, tired-looking things left and right! But when I saw these darling velvet pumpkins, I about died. Create your own set of three for $22.99 in your choice of colors or even order a set of 24 in various colors at $6.99 each if you need them for wedding decor, gifts, etc. Gorgeous, right? Check out all the options at this cute Etsy site.
8. Extra-Long Cami for Layering – Call me overly-modest, but I’m just not comfy in leggings unless my boo-tay is covered. These have adjustable spaghetti straps, come in a rainbow of colors, are not expensive, and are perfect for tall girls, boo-tay covering, or layering under sweatshirts or shorter tops for warmth in cooler weather. They’re not Spanx, so I probably wouldn’t wear them alone under a cardi or blazer, but they do have just enough spandex to smooth things out a bit in all the right places. #winner
I hope you’re excited about a great week ahead! I’m working hard on the All About Instastories post I promised you last week, so look for that in a day or so, okay? I’m going to show you how to add text, fun stickers, and GIFs, and even draw on your Stories. Your kids are going to be in awe of your mad Instaskills! I don’t want you to miss a thing, so you might want to subscribe to my email list if you haven’t already. I’ve got some great things coming up in the next few weeks, and if you can believe it, I’m already working on my Holiday Gift Guides! Know of something I absolutely must include? Please email me!
SHOP THE POST