As I shared in Monday’s post, Bob and I are Alaska bound, celebrating our anniversary! I’ll admit, I kinda freaked out when our cruise dates interfered with the annual Nordstrom Anniversary Sale, but then Bob reminded me that if I didn’t shop the sale as, um, aggressively this year, we could probably pay for our entire cruise! Hahahaha!!!
I know lots of you all count on me to help you work your way through the sale. After all, it is so huge; it can be overwhelming! It can also be tempting to get caught up in the hype and overspend. (I’ve been there, believe me!) Don’t worry! Today I’m going to get you all prepped and ready, so tomorrow when Early Access starts for Nordstrom card holders; you can go straight to the Nordstrom site with a plan and a list, and all ready to make good purchasing decisions! Today, I’m sharing my insider tips. (You’ll find them in blue throughout this post.) These will help you shop thoughtfully, economically, and without feeling overwhelmed. Let’s dive in, okay?
Why You Should Shop the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale
First of all, let me tell you why I love Nordstrom (and their Anniversary Sale) so much? (Um, besides the fact that you can score major deals on brand new arrivals on wear-now and fall fashion, beauty, home, etc.?) Click here for more info, and even a sneak peek at what’s going to be on sale.
1. Nordstrom offers early access to its credit and debit cardholders.
Early Access runs Thursday, July 12 through Thursday, July 19. Public Access is Friday, July 20 through Sunday, August 5. For the best selection, plan to shop Early Access if you can. The card is the key, y’all. To apply, click here.
2. Nordstrom offers free shipping and returns.
Alternatively, if you’d rather, you can order online and pick up right in-store the same day you order. It’s super convenient! In fact, during the Anniversary Sale, it gets so crazy in-store, you’ll do better to order online.
3. When Nordstrom says SALE, they mean it.
There is no messing around with coupons, promo codes, etc. They simply put new fall and winter merchandise on sale at 30-40% off for a limited time. Seriously. Once the sale is over, items will return to their original prices.
4. Nordstrom usually doesn’t restock sold-out items during the sale.
The Nordstrom Anniversary Sale can be overwhelming because there is so much good stuff, and things sell out quickly. Plan to hop on your computer first thing on Thursday morning, and follow the instructions I’m going to give you below to avoid overspending and getting sucked down the rabbit hole. (It can happen! I’ve been there!)
5. It’s a good time to stock up for the holidays.
It might sound crazy, but it’s true. I get so pumped every year when I get ahead of the holiday rush! When December rolls around, I can spend more time focusing on family, faith, and fun because I don’t have to rush around buying gifts. If you’ve never tried that before, make this the year you do. You’ll be so glad you did.
6. Nordstrom has a great Rewards Program.
You can become a member at no cost, and Rewards members earn 1 point for every dollar they spend at Nordstrom, Nordstrom Rack, and HauteLook. They also offer bonus days throughout the year when you can earn even more. For every 2000 points, you get a $20 Nordstrom Note to spend. (Credit or Debit cardholders earn 2 points for every dollar spent along with a few other exclusive benefits.) For more information or to sign up for Nordstrom Rewards, click here.
7. Nordstrom is known for its outstanding customer service.
In a day and time when this is not the norm, I want to patronize a retailer that prioritizes this value.
8. Nordstrom believes in giving back.
Finally, Nordstrom carries a full line of men’s, women’s, and girl’s clothes from Treasure & Bond. They bill it as “Americana meets street style with laid-back layers and lived-in denim.” They donate 2.5% of sales from the line to organizations that empower youth. Additionally, they donate 1% of all Gift Card sales to local non-profits. I love that.
What Are the Best Things to Buy?
(Click the links below to see what’s available in each category.)
- Winter coats
- Boots & Booties
- Athletic Shoes
- Transitional Tops
- Wide Leg Capris & Pants (As I told you in a recent post on the jumpsuit trend, this silhouette will be huge for fall.)
- Designer Handbags
- Hostess gifts like candles (Watch for candle sets that you can break up and give as gifts!)
- Makeup Sets from your fave high-end brands.
- Items that Nordstrom marks down significantly before the sale to build hype and clear out inventory. (Like my dress from this post!) Check out this Burberry quilted jacket and this Tory Burch handbag – marked down big time even before the Anniversary Sale. Most of them won’t go any lower during the sale. Click here to check out what’s already on sale.
Wait Until Later in the Year to Buy
- Designer items that don’t look on par with other items by that designer (Multiple designers contract with Nordstrom to make pieces that they will sell exclusively at Nordstrom at a discount during the Anniversary Sale. If you don’t think it looks as good as it should, don’t buy it. This happened to me with a Tory Burch handbag I talked myself into last year.)
- Winter sweaters (Ex. Cashmere will be less expensive in Nov./Dec.)
- Winter pants (Don’t buy wool now.)
- Ski Coats/Pants
- Everyday beauty items (if not on sale) – There may be an upcoming beauty event (like gift w/purchase) that hasn’t been advertised yet, so don’t bother “stocking up” on your fave lipstick.
How to Shop Without Getting Overwhelmed OR Overspending
- Make a list of what types of items you’re looking for today, browse my categories above, and then stick to it tomorrow.
- Once the sale starts, use the filters on the left side of the page on the Nordstrom site to filter by things like category, size, price, and brand.
- To avoid getting overwhelmed by all the choices once the sale starts, use the search engine at the top righthand corner of any page on the Nordstrom site to shop by specific designer. (Ex. Type in “Kate Spade.” or even “Kate Spade Purse.”) When you click enter, it will send you right to a landing page with your results. Anniversary Sale items will come up first. (Click here to browse the list of designers that Nordstrom carries in advance.)
- If you’re trying not to overspend, be careful! It’s easy to get caught up in the hype or talk yourself into buying items you don’t need just because they’re on sale. (I tend to do that! Do you?) If you’ve been hanging around here for awhile now, you know that great sales come up every single weekend at retailers you love, and I almost always link to the best weekend sales every Friday in my posts. You don’t have to buy your entire fall wardrobe during this sale!!! Be thoughtful and intentional with your purchases. #buyersremoseistheworst
- Remember that the sale goes on until August 5, and when I get back, I’ll do posts specifically about beauty and men’s items. Those two posts were your favorites last year!
I chose this dress for this post because it’s Nordstrom yellow (!) AND because I wanted you to know that there was more on sale at Nordstrom than just the Anniversary Sale inventory! I wore this dress to a wedding last weekend and I had several people stop me and ask me about it! Isn’t it fun? Since it can get cold in overly air-conditioned buildings in the summer, I bought this darling open front bolero to throw over it. I think boleros are so fab! They give you shape and emphasize your waist, no matter what your size! This one is only $34 and it comes in five colors! I bought it in red too!
P. S. Are you an Amazon.com lover like me? Then be sure to check out Amazon’s Prime Day! From noon Monday, 7/16 – Tuesday, 7/17 at 11:59 p.m., Amazon will put forth unbelievable deals on tons of merchandise. We’re talking deals that rival Black Friday or Cyber Monday! Things like Amazon Echo, Amazon Fire tablets, and Amazon Fire TV are all likely to be on sale. Not an Amazon Prime member? Don’t worry! You can sign up for a 30-day Free Trial in order to take advantage of this sale!
SHOP MY LOOK
Photos by Megan Weaver.