Can we talk about me barely squeaking into the month by publishing May’s SO in the KNOW post at night on the last day of the month?! What is it about May, y’all? With our son graduating from law school and moving home for the summer, then our daughter moving home for the summer (and a few trips on the calendar), it’s been a whirlwind! I know you feel that way too because I read (every one of) your comments on my Facebook and Instagram posts. 🙂
I’ve learned a lot this month, and I especially had a blast putting together my Father’s Day Gift Guide! We traveled to NYC to see Billy Joel in concert (Bob was in heaven. It was adorable!) and saw a couple of great shows while we were there too. (Read more about it in this post.) I also put together my summer reading list and shared the link to the Empty Nest Blessed Amazon page, where you can find all of my recommendations. Finally, I concluded my year-long research project on the best waterproof and sweat proof makeup products and published the results. (Bob totally did the raised praise hands thing because he was so happy my “research” was finished. LOL.) Today, I’m sharing what I’ve been learning in the empty nest this month, and also telling you about some products that I’m absolutely loving right now. Click any of the pink links in the text OR the images in the graphic at the top or bottom of this post for more information. You’re gonna be SO in the KNOW!
What I’m Learning
No Balance Here – Did y’all catch Shark Tank star and real estate mogul Barbara Corcoran on GMA? She talked about how she tried for 40 years to achieve “work-life balance” only to realize it’s an impossibility. I thought her approach to life as a working woman was practical and sound. #sharewithyourdaughter Watch or read it here.
Merry, Merry Cherry – Dallas-area friends, listen up!!! I’ve made a fantastic discovery! Cherry is an on-demand nail app founded in Dallas that delivers manicures and pedicures right to you. It is like the “Uber” of nails! Once you download the app in the app store, be sure to use EmptyNestBlessed as your access code to get $10 off your first service. Then schedule your appointment and set-up your profile. You’ll be asked to enter your credit card info since payment is all handled through the app. (You’ll have an opportunity to add gratuity when you check out after your service.) For more info, check out their website FAQs here. The folks at Cherry treated me to a manicure/pedicure (right in my kitchen) yesterday, and I can’t say enough about how wonderful it was! Y’all, I haven’t stepped foot in a nail salon in 8 years, because I’m so wary of hygiene issues. The last time I did, I ended up with a nail fungus that took me about a year to clear. (Probably TMI!) I was thrilled to find out that Cherry’s services are entirely waterless (because it’s more hygienic, more time-efficient, and there’s no mess). Instead, my nail tech used disposable moisturizing gloves and socks to nourish and prepare my nails. A Cherry service would make a precious gift for a new mom, a friend recovering from surgery, or a home-bound senior.
What I’m Loving
(Click the pink links or images below for more information.)
1. Must-Have Summer Tee – This easy breezy tee is only $24 and comes in six colors. Even though it’s called the “tie front tee,” the tie is actually over toward the side, which creates flattering draping in the front. It can be worn at the waist (as in the collage above) or pulled down tunic-style over your boo-tay (which I prefer). Shipping & returns are free, and it fits TTS (true to size). I’ve already ordered it in two colors for our beach trip next week!
2. Perk Up Lip & Cheek Tint – It’s clear I’ve got vacay on my mind! I’m definitely packing Supergoop’s Perk Up! Lip and Cheek Treat. It does double duty—which is fantastic—and gets bonus points for its SPF 40. Look out for this girl’s pink lips and cheeks at the beach!
3. Acrylic Monogram Necklace – I have this necklace in white, and it’s one of the pieces I get compliments on constantly! It comes in several color options, including this pink, a pretty turquoise, and a tortoise brown. It’s a fun gift idea!
4. Must-Have Wedges – This on point brown color is fab, but they also come in three other color options. They’re easier to walk in than you might think because of the platform on the front. I’ve also got them in white (which I wore to walk across Manhattan last week to see Billy Joel at Madison Square Garden). They’re under $80, and I wear them with everything from shorts to dresses. They fit TTS. #winner
5. Tassel Necklace – I got this necklace early this spring, and I’ve worn it steadily since! The wood beads stand out and look great with so many different tops. It’s the perfect way to elevate a tee and shorts combo, but it can also be worn with dressier looks. It’s more than I usually pay for fun jewelry, but the quality is noticeable, and it goes with everything.
6. SuperGoop! Defense Refresh Setting Mist – If you read my post on Melt-Proof Makeup, you know all about this product! It’s the best way to reapply UV protection (SPF 50) throughout the day without disturbing your makeup. I use it as my final step when I’m getting ready in the morning, and then I take the travel size in my purse everywhere I go! It has a makeup-setting ingredient that dries quickly, it helps control oil and shine, and it has an utterly delish scent of rosemary and mint. This product has changed my life!
7. Fine Mesh Tea Infusers – This happy little set of four tea infusers greets me early every morning! The sweet flowers hang on the edge of my cup to let my tea steep to perfection. #adorbs
8. Hot Air Fryer – Forget the Instant Pot! This air “fryer” (it really bakes with convection-style hot air). It has a removable dishwasher-safe basket, auto shut off, and it takes food from frozen to crispy and hot in just minutes. It cooks without oil and you feel positively decadent eating anything that comes out of it. This would make a wonderful gift for newlyweds!
Best Weekend Sales
Here’s where I’m shopping this weekend. (Click the pink links to go straight to the sites.)
ANN TAYLOR | 40% off wear-now styles.
EXPRESS | 40% off sale dresses and women’s swimsuits.
NORDSTROM | Get up to 40% off during the Half-Yearly Sale. I love this lightweight tie sleeve cardi for those, um, over-achieving air-conditioned restaurants and movie theaters in summer. (Everything in this sale is wear-now!)
TORY BURCH | Often designers will add a whole bunch of new merchandise to their sale sections post-Memorial Day. That’s what Tory did! (Ya know, Tory. – Like we’re friends or something!) Lots of new styles added to sale at up to 40% off.
WEST ELM | I love this site for home décor. Take 40% off outdoor furniture and décor.
What’s up for you this weekend? We’re headed to our nephew’s high school graduation, and then we’ll be busy packing and shopping for our upcoming beach trip. (So excited!) Do you have kids home for the summer? How’s it going? Let me know! xoxo
SHOP THE POST