One of the reasons I started Empty Nest Blessed was to ensure that I would keep learning and growing as an empty nester. I don’t want to be one of those people who gets “stuck” in this season of life! I’m on a crusade to keep learning and growing in the empty nest—and I’m taking you with me. I haven’t done a SO in the KNOW post since October, and I can’t wait to tell you what I’ve learned since then. Along the way, I also fell hard for a couple of products I’ve been dying to share with you. Let’s do this, y’all!
This is perfect for empty nesters! It’s a movie subscription service that allows you to catch all the latest movies out in theaters for only $9.95 per month (with no long-term commitment). Date night, here we come! For more information, you can read all about it on the Movie Pass website. (BTW, this is not a sponsored post.)
2018 Colors of the Year
Have you heard about Pantone’s Color of the year? It’s Ultra Violet, a rich, majestic shade of purple. Love it or hate it, it’s going to be around this year. Consider adding an inexpensive accessory to your wardrobe for a fresh, updated look. (Click the images below for more information.)
If you’re downsizing to a new home or doing an empty nest refresh this year, House Beautiful says sage is going to be the hot color in home decor this year. I think it’s such a relaxing and soothing color.
Plan Spring & Summer Travel NOW!
Travel deals peak in January, making now the time to book your spring or summer empty nester getaway. Need ideas? I’ve been pinning like crazy on my Empty Nester Getaways board on Pinterest (I’d love for you to follow me!) or you can check Travelocity, Priceline, or Hotels.com. I especially enjoyed this article geared toward empty nesters on Travelocity.
There was a recent article in the Dallas Morning News about trainer John Benton, who is known as the “Hips Whisperer” (!) for his ability to whittle his clients’ hips and waists. Copy his moves using this video. (I’m sure we’ll all end up looking exactly like these women if we do.) 🙂
What I’m Loving Right Now
1. Spanx Faux Leather Leggings – Is there anything more perfect than faux leather leggings by Spanx when you’re feeling a little poochy after the holidays? I think not! I’ve been wearing mine on repeat, and I especially love that they go right into the washing machine. I think I’m headed back for Spanx’s Velvet Leggings too.
2. L.L.Bean Women’s Slippers – I recently found out that L.L.Bean guarantees their slippers (in fact all of their products) for life. (I’m certain that I’m the only person in the world that didn’t know this!) Wow! If you didn’t get the slippers you wanted for Christmas, several styles are on sale right now.
3. Glycolix Elite Eye Serum – I’ve been using this eye serum morning and night after cleansing for about two months now, and I love it! It’s full of hyaluronic acid and Vitamin C, and it’s thicker and creamier than other serums I’ve tried. It takes awhile to soak in, but when it does, it hydrates beautifully and the hydration lasts! I bought mine at the dermatologist but later discovered it on Amazon for about half the price. (I hate it when that happens!)
4. Slow Feeder Dog Bowl – When we took care of our adorable grandpuppy for a few days while the newlyweds went out of town, we were astonished at how she inhaled her food! She’s been having digestive problems, and my daughter-in-law’s clever mom gave them this ingenious dog bowl for Christmas. It forces the dog to slow it’s eating, which aids digestion.
5. Heated Nightlight Toilet Seat – If I’d known about this before Christmas, it definitely would have made the Empty Nest Blessed Holiday Gift Guide! A blue LED nightlight, and three temperature settings for the seat mean no more stumbling to a cold seat in the middle of the night. What???!!! It fits any standard toilet fixture but does require a GFI outlet. Someone call the electrician, quick.
6. L’Oreal Age Perfect Cell Renewal Rosy Tone Moisturizer – I’ve been on a drugstore skincare and makeup kick lately (post coming soon), and this is one of my new faves. It’s a daytime facial moisturizer with rosy pigments, designed to revive the youthful pink tones that diminish with age.
7. Scratch Your Travels Watercolor Art Map – Here’s another fun gift idea I learned about after Christmas. (Sigh…) It fits in a 12×18 frame, and you use a coin to remove the gold foil over states you’ve visited to reveal an original watercolor painting. Millennials will love this.
Do you feel smarter and more in the know? I hope so!
I’m back from my cross-country road trip with my daughter, and I’m happy to report that we had such a sweet time. We talked, laughed, and even cried. (When I told Bob there was some crying he did not get it at all! He was all, “Oh, no! Crying?” LOL! If you’re a mother of girls, you totally get it.) She’s headed back to school at the end of the week, and I’m going to miss her so much!