1. Melody Smith
    July 26, 2017 @ 7:02 am

You are so right! Grown kids need your support just as much as when they were at home; it just takes a different direction.I remember how much it meant to have my parents “in our corner” as we were first married and starting our family, but I also remember we didn’t care for unsolicited advice! So one of the things we’re passionate about is listening to our kids without judgment or advice. We also pray for them and tell them that we are. Sometimes I tell them a specific prayer we’re praying, such as “I know God loves you and your family. I’m praying he’ll help you know the best decision to make about ______” Recently, I sent my daughter-in-law a text similar to that, and she texted back it was just what she needed and made her challenge easier.

July 26, 2017 @ 4:01 pm

Melody,
      You are so full of wisdom! Thank you for sharing that wonderful advice! You sound like the BEST mother-in-law! The most important thing you said was that you communicate with them about what you are praying for them. It’s one thing to do it, but it means so much to them if they know it too. Thank you for your precious comment. xoxo Suzy

2. Beth
    July 26, 2017 @ 8:06 am

Thank you for these tips. My adult kids are 27 and 25. My oldest has been dealing with drug addiction for the past 10 years and he left the area 4 years ago. We have no way to communicate with him. My youngest moved about 3 hours away a year ago to finish college and pursue a career. She and I text often throughout the day and use Facebook messenger to communicate. It’s been hard to find the right balance between letting go and allowing her to be independent and still giving support. I haven’t wanted to repeat the mistake of enabling as I did with my son. I have the book on prayer by Stormie and love it.

Thank you again.

July 26, 2017 @ 4:06 pm

Oh, Beth, I will pray for your precious son. I am so sorry to hear about this. It must be unbelievably painful for you. I pray that the Lord will comfort you and encourage your heart daily with His love and grace. I am so thankful the Lord has blessed you with a sweet relationship with your 25-year-old and I’m so glad you love that book as much as I do. Every time I finish it, I just turn to the front and start it again! Thank you so much for your comment. Big hugs to you, and thank you for sharing. Please stay in touch. xoxo Suzy

• Beth
        July 26, 2017 @ 10:37 pm

Thank you Susy for your prayers, kind words and encouragement.

Blessings to you,

Beth

July 27, 2017 @ 2:22 pm

Aw, Beth, that is so sweet! You are a blessing and encouragement to me! Thank you. xoxo Suzy

3. donna
    July 26, 2017 @ 9:04 am

Number 6: YES!!!
    I am so guilty of allowing my feelings to be hurt when the kids don’t respond to my texts or calls. I have actually had a battle in the mind thinking “well then, I won’t text until they text back! I see them on social media so they can easily text and let me know they are not dead!”
    How very high school of me!
    At 25 (dd married), 23(ds engaged), 20(ds going to his sophomore year in college) 19(ds also a sophomore this fall) I REALLY need to get it into my head that they have a life and they are not cutting us out. They are just super busy. Just the way the hubby and I were when we were that age. Heck, by 25 we were married with our first baby!
    So thanks so much for this post. It was just the reminder I needed. As a matter of fact, I just FB messaged my future daughter in law to ask about wedding plans ;).
    Enjoy the day!

July 26, 2017 @ 4:15 pm

Donna, your comment just meant the world to me! I think it’s really hard to adjust to parenting an adult child. We’ve all felt the way you felt! I keep reminding myself that the GOAL of our parenting was friendship with our kids, and actually raising kids we would WANT to be friends with! Now that they’re grown, I need to act like a really good friend to them so that they WANT to be friends with me too. I think sometimes they blow us off a little because we are “safe” to do that with – they know we will love them anyway! In a way, being someone’s “safe place” is a really good place to reside, amirite? Thanks again for your honest comment. You sound like a wonderful mom! xoxo Suzy

4. Carole Pope
    July 27, 2017 @ 4:12 am

What a great post and comments from others in the same boat!
    I have already replied on instagram but wanted to say I agree so much with The Ministry of Presence! Great name, I shall be calling it that from now on!
    We have taken a day off work to help our daughter move flats in London tomorrow. She didn’t ask knowing it was a week day but was so pleased when we said ‘we are coming to help!’ Lovely to support them when we can and are needed.

July 27, 2017 @ 2:26 pm

Carole, you are practicing the “ministry of presence” with your daughter! Mine always especially appreciate it when we do something that involves getting dirty or sweaty! Good luck to you. You’re a great mom. xoxo Suzy