Happy Friday, friends! I’ve shared before that, as an empty nester, sometimes I feel like the world moved so fast while I was busy raising my kids, I got behind on things! I’m determined not to be one of those people who kinda gets STUCK, and who stops learning and growing. In that spirit, today I’m sharing what I’ve been learning, where I’m going, and what I’m absolutely loving these days. And I’m hoping you’ll share with me too!
What I’m Learning
I am having tons of fun binge watching Gilmore Girls on Netflix. It’s great to have my own little show to watch when I am getting ready, making dinner, or folding laundry. I didn’t catch it the first time around and I am totally nagging my daughter to watch it too so we can talk about it! I read yesterday that Lorelai Gilmore was voted America’s favorite TV mom.
Millennials are really into coffee. Really, really into it. My law school son is home with us for a few weeks before he starts a clerkship in Austin, and he unceremoniously returned the fancy Keurig we bought him for Christmas right back to us. He has purchased a french press and even grinds his own coffee beans! We find this hilarious because most of the time he can’t remember to put his dishes in the dishwasher. We just love this kid to death and we love having him home.
Weight Watchers is on point with fruits and veggies. I have two family members on Weight Watchers right now and they told me that on the program, all fruits and veggies are worth zero points. Wow! Gotta work more of those in on a regular basis. My good old metabolism is trying to slow down! I’m coming for you, blueberries.
Our family is having big fun doing this 30-day music challenge together! Every day, we all text our song choice for the day to our son, and he is compiling a family playlist on Spotify for us of everyone’s picks. The only rule? No making fun of anyone else’s picks. So far I’ve snuck in songs by Abba, Air Supply, and the BeeGees! LOL.
What I’m Loving
- I just ordered this Brookstone Big Bluetooth Mini Travel Speaker. I gave one to Bob for Christmas, and on our recent trip, I marveled at the sound quality for a little speaker around $40. Since he who owns the speaker chooses the tunes, I decided it was time to get my own because I got tired of listening to Rush and Elton John. 🙂
- We are headed to Europe for our 30th Anniversary trip in a few weeks and I needed some good tennies that would not show the dirt and would not scream “tourist” like my regular pair. I hit the jackpot with these New Balance Zante Running Shoes. I love New Balance shoes because they carry all sizes and widths. (My feet are getting wider with age, are yours? Weird, right?)
- Right now I’m reading The Upside of Stress by Kelly McGonigal. It’s based on her famous TED talk called “How to Make Stress Your Friend.” In it, she cites new research proving that undergoing stress is not bad for you; it is undergoing stress while believing that stress is bad for you that makes it harmful. In fact, stress has many benefits!
- I am a nail DIYer, and Revlon’s ColorStay Gel Envy is the best drugstore polish I’ve found to resist chipping. Pick it up on your next Target run or order it here on Amazon for less..
- My “so in the know” friend Tricia turned me on to this Ring video doorbell. It was easy to install and works from an app right on your phone. When there is movement at our front door or someone rings the bell, it automatically turns on both video and sound. I terrified a poor millennial who was trying to drum up support for a political candidate the other day when I talked to her via the doorbell. (I was sitting on the beach in Florida at the time!) Pretty cool, right?
- I did a quick photo shoot for my Instagram while I was staying at our favorite beach resort last week in this oh-so-comfy dipped hem knit dress that J.Jill sent me from their May collection. I love that their clothes come in misses, petite, tall, and plus sizes. They’re having a great sale now through May 14, with 30% off your total purchase and free shipping for a $100+ order. Use the code 30MAY17.
- J.Jill also sent me this gorgeous white mixed media embroidered shirt dress. The embroidery on the skirt is amazing!
- You may remember my oh-so-embarrassing story of dropping my iPhone 6 into the bathtub because I was texting while in a bubble bath. Yeahhhh… Luckily for me, my new iPhone 7 is waterproof, but it doesn’t come with a headphone jack. So I ordered these pink Mpow Cheetah Bluetooth headphones so I could listen to my tunes or even answer the phone while I run on the treadmill. Of course, I ordered pink, but they also come in black, lime green, and light blue as well.
- Finally, I love this J.Jill silk scarf from their Compassion Fund accessory collection. I wore mine as a belt with the mixed media embroidered shirt dress, but you could also tie it on your handbag, your wrist, or wear it as a neckerchief (yes, they’re back in style!). J.Jill donates 100% of the net proceeds from sales of their Compassion Fund accessories to help disadvantaged and homeless women become self-sufficient.
Do you have big weekend plans? Our daughter is coming in from college with two friends before they head out to the RUF summer conference in Florida, so we will be thrilled to see her and her sweet pals. We are also going to a Texas Rangers baseball game with the newlyweds. Those two are always such fun! Then, of course, it’s Mother’s Day on Sunday. Hugs and cheers to all you moms! Let me know in the comments what you are learning and loving right now, okay?
Shop the Post
(Click the images for more information.)