Happy Memorial Day weekend, friends! I am so grateful for our country and for those who died for my freedom. The world moves pretty fast, and I’m so grateful to have the opportunity to pause and honor them. As an empty nester, do you ever feel like the world passed you by while you were busy raising your kids? I do, and frankly, I got behind on things! I don’t want to be one of those people who kinda gets stuck, and who stops learning and growing. I want you to be SO in the KNOW too! In that spirit, today I’m sharing how I’m learning and growing in the empty nest and what I’m learning and loving right now.
What I’m Learning
My millennial son has embraced something called “minimalism.” Apparently, that is the desire to live with fewer material possessions in order to live a more meaningful life. We haven’t tried to give away much to our son yet, but it appears his minimalism extends to the use of napkins. ME: “Would you like a napkin since you are eating lunch?” HIM: “I don’t use napkins anymore.” WHAT??? Let me just say; this will kill his grandmother, who is the woman who will give you the world’s cutest cocktail napkin along with the plastic water bottle she hands you every time you walk in her door. (It’s a Southern thing.)
Have you ever heard of a “finsta?” According to my college daughter, this is a fake Instagram account where people post “secret” (read that as “racy”) photos that they don’t want some of the followers of their regular Instagram account (read that as “Mom and Dad”) to see. Be sure to ask your college kids for some help when you set yours up. Tell them you want to set up a “finsta” so you can send some “special” photos to Dad. They will die.
I am completely obsessed with this video. I have watched it over and over this week. I think this is exactly what heaven will be like – with people from every country and nation all worshipping the Lord in their native tongues. I just had to share it with you!
What I’m Loving
1. I’m sure you’ve noticed the ruffle hem tee trend this spring! Some ruffle hem tees hit at an awkward spot, adding width to your hips. Not this one! This ruffle hem tee is the perfect length, and it’s longer in the back, so your booty is modestly covered. Hooray! I bought it is black and pink, of course.
2. These are undoubtedly the world’s cutest cocktail napkins. I may need to gift these to my aforementioned mother-in-law as a condolence gift when she figures out that our minimalist son has rejected the concept of napkins completely.
3. I shared on my Instagram earlier this week that my husband got these Rebecca Minkoff Estelle sandals for me for Mother’s Day. “They just look like you,” he said. I was so flattered because I think they’re SO cute! I love them and get millions of compliments when I wear them. ( They are 40% off right now if you like them too.)
5. If you are a curly gurl like me, you need this Hot Sock hair dryer diffuser for travel. Mine is headed to Europe with me next week.
6. My son turned me on to this portable waterproof dry bag, and it was a life saver the last time we went to the beach. We swam in the morning and traveled home in the afternoon. Our wet bathing suits flew home inside this.
7. I’m pretty much a drugstore brand girl for my hair care products, but someone gave me a sample of this MoroccanOil Beach Wave Mousse, and now I am a full-on fan! I use it at the base of my hair in all of the areas where I want more volume. It creates the most amazing texture. I’ve heard all of the MoroccanOil products are awesome and I will definitely be trying more!
8. I am weirdly obsessed with getting every last bit of product out of my nearly-empty makeup bottles and tubes. Like, I will cut them up to get to the last little bits. These tiny spatulas – adorably called “Every Drop Spatulas,” are designed to do just that. They’re always out-of-stock in the stores, so I ordered mine online. I gave them to every woman in our family last Christmas!
Y’all know the Memorial Day Weekend sales are always incredible! Do yourself a favor and skip the craziness of the mall. Here are links to some favorite sites so you can shop online instead.
Nordstrom – The big Half-Yearly Sale is here, and it is ah-mazing. Save up to 40%. (Through June 4.)
Sam Edelman – Take 30% off sitewide with code SAMSUMMER30. Stack that 30% discount on top of items already on sale to really score big. I’ll race you for these espadrilles!
Banana Republic – Take 40% off sitewide with code BRSUMMER. Again, stack that 40% discount on top of items already on sale to hit the jackpot.
Kendra Scott – Take an additional 15% off sale styles with code SALEONSALE. There is a great selection of sale merchandise, and this makes it really awesome. Think gifts! These earrings look so fancy schmancy.
Draper James – This is Reese Witherspoon’s clothing, accessories, and gifts line, and it is my latest fave! The clothes are beautifully made with fantastic attention to detail. Take an extra 30% off sale + free shipping. (Discount automatically applied at checkout.) I am totally buying this dress.
Anthropologie – Take an extra 40% off sale items.
Ann Taylor – Take 40% off sitewide + 50% off already reduced sale items with code SUMMER. I love this Petal Stitched Cotton Linen top. So feminine and cool for summer.
Loft – Take 40% off everything sitewide with code VACAY.
Kate Spade – Take an extra 25% off sale styles with code REFRESH.
J Crew – Take 30% off your entire purchase with code SWEET. I am in love with this white eyelet top with tassel trim! It’s available in my school colors – perfect for those early September football games!
Pottery Barn – Buy more, save more (up to 25% off) + free shipping. Use code SAVEMORE.
Happy Socks – Think Father’s Day! Buy 5 pairs for the price of four + free shipping.
Chico’s – 40% off sale items. No code needed.
GAP – Up to 50% off everything + an extra 20% off entire purchase with code MORE.
Land’s End – 50 % off swimwear, beach towels, water shoes, etc. Take 25% off everything else.
Old Navy – All tees, tanks, shorts, and swimwear 50% off.
White House Black Market – 30% off select items + 40% off sale styles with code 39922.
MarleyLilly – Up to 80% off at my favorite online site for monogrammed/personalized items! Think gifts for yourself (!) or others. Check out these monogrammed sandals for less than $25!
Sorry about the long post today! I had a lot to share with you. Do you have fun plans for the long weekend? Bob and our son are going to the U2 concert tonight, and I am going to have a giant spa night/bubble bath while they are gone! On Saturday, I am going to try my hardest to finish packing for our big 30th-anniversary trip (more on that next week!) and then Monday I’m doing a photo shoot. (Always fun to have my makeup done and pretend I am a model – LOL!) Since Bob is off work on Monday, I may ask him to come along to help. It’s always good to have someone there to tell me if my bra strap is showing; my fake tan is streaky; I am posing like a weirdo, etc.! (All of which may or may not have actually happened.) 🙂