If you’re new around here, you should know that every so often I share what I’ve been learning and loving in the empty nest. I think it’s important to keep learning and growing in the empty nest season of life. Don’t you? We can’t get stuck! In that spirit, today I’m sharing the latest cool stuff on my radar. (So you can ah-maze your friends and family with how SO in the KNOW you are.) 🙂
What I’m Learning
Makeover Man – First of all, you might need to sit down for this. I’m serious. Brace yourselves, ladies. Ken (as in Barbie’s boyfriend) has had a makeover. Recently, Mattel announced 15 diverse new looks for Ken. He’s now available in various skin tones, body types (Buh-bye six pack. Hello dad bod Ken.), and hairstyles. That’s right, man-bun Ken is here.
Too Many Robo Calls? – It’s not your imagination; robocalls are becoming more prevalent. In May 2017, there were 2.6 billion robocalls made in the U.S. Bob and I were getting at least one a day on our cell phones, and sometimes as many as five a day. So we signed up for Nomorobo, and the problem has all but disappeared. I am a sucker for a business with a cute name, and this service really works.
Get Rid of Political Posts on Facebook – Love your Facebook friends but tired of their political rants? Did you know you can filter the politics from your feed? This article tells you three different ways to do it. Peace out, people.
Heard this New Term? – The term “charm offensive” refers to a campaign of charismatic friendliness and flattery that is designed to win over another person or achieve a goal. If you have kids (no matter their age), you are wise to this type of operation. But now we have an actual name for it. (Insert high-five here.) Personally, I am counting on my kids being so dazzled by my knowledge of trendy terminology that they completely lose their train of thought, allowing me to gain the upper hand.
What I’m Loving
1. I think this monogrammed pom pom cover up from Marley Lilly (a great source for all things monogrammed) is about the cutest thing going. We’re a beach-loving family, and I’m getting these for all the girls to wear the next time we head to our favorite spot.
2. I love a good burger, but I hate it when the
grease, er, juice, slops all over my hand and my rings. Bling Brush all natural jewelry cleaner lives in my purse for quick clean ups. Sparkle and shine restored! This makes my holiday gift list for stocking stuffers every year, and I love the free shipping from this company.
3. This Laura Geller Baked Blush Trio has been such a fun beauty purchase from the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale. Each shade is slightly different, but each has a bronze cast, making it the perfect blush palette for summer.
4. Two weekends ago, we traveled to Florida to attend a swanky event. I had my heart set on taking a particular colorful cotton dress, even though I knew it would be a mess when we got there. Our travel size bottle of Downy Wrinkle Releaser had me wrinkle-free in a snap. It should be easy to find at Target or Walmart. (BTW, If you have a kid headed off to college this year, stick this in when you’re packing. Since college kids don’t iron anymore, this product is your last best hope that he/she won’t wander around campus looking like a complete hobo.)
5. I shared my love for Giorgio Armani Fluid Sheer with you in a previous post. It’s a translucent formula that’s available in makeup base shades, correcting shades, and radiance boosting shades. I’ve linked the one I use (all year long) for a warm, illuminating glow. Interested in a duo? The Nordstrom Anniversary Sale has a primo Giorgio Armani SPF 30 primer with a highlighting shade of Fluid Sheer for a good price right now. (Sale ends August 6.)
6. I just had to tell you about this cool Frog Prince Color Changing Lipstick and Blush Duo. The emerald green shade transforms into the perfect color for your skin tone when you apply it. So much fun! It makes the Empty Nest Blessed holiday gift list every year, and it’s only $35 during the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale.
7. Clearly, I’ve got gifts on my mind! One of my readers shared this great idea for a hostess gift. It’s a darling indoor herb garden in vintage-inspired, tinted mason jars for only $20. It uses a “passive hydroponic system” that self-regulates the moisture, so it’s pretty much foolproof. I love this!
Happy weekend, y’all! Is it just me, or does this weekend feel like the last real weekend of summer? My August calendar is filling up already, and I’m not sure I’m ready for the slower pace of summer to end! What are you up to this weekend? We’re laying pretty low and trying to finalize plans for our empty nester fall getaway (which I’ll share soon). Prices are so cheap September-November, that responsible empty nesters just have to take advantage of it, amirite? I recently wrote a post on planning an empty nester fall getaway if you need some fresh ideas.
SHOP THE POST